Road bike: Sludge

Heckflosse

So what is the verdict on Sludge on road bike tubes? Does anyone even use it on the road bike tubes?

Does it work for road tubes? Or not?

Also, is there any issues with performance while using the sludge on road bike?

My understanding is that sludge does not work well on tubed tires simply because there is movement between the tube and the tire - breaking the seal.

I'd guess you'd have more success with slime if put in tubeless road tires (tubeless as in mtb, not tubbies).

Dale

Thanks Dale, good to hear Slime may be more successful than Sludge.

I'm intrigue to know, if this is a product widely used by road cyclist? Or perhaps something the Cycle store is pushing to sell?

Also for some reason, I've started to believe regular tubes alone may just be ok.

about 10 years back a bought a 'dale second hand. it had sludge/slime/snot in the tubes. made a heck of a mess everytime I tried to pump the tyres, so got rid of those tubes.

also changed the tyres to gatorskins and never had a puncture.

than a few years back I sold the 'dale and bought another used bike. endless punctures. changed the tyres to gatoskins and same thing. I spoke to my LBS about putting sludge/slime/snot in the tubes and they did not recommend it. They said they would do it if I really wanted to, but it was not worth it.

so I continued buying new tubes and bombs. eventually I started repairing tubes and bought a hand pump. cause it was costing me R20 per ride using bombs. (yep, at least one puncture per ride is what I was getting) It for so bad that I gave up riding for the entire 2011.

in december I dusted off the bike and got riding again. guess what, more punctures.

after much frustration and ready to buy new tyres, tubes and even wheels, I tracked it down to dodgy rim tape that was pushing aside under high pressure (i.e. hitting a stone/bump etc.). changed the rim tape and have done over 500km now with no punctures.

So what is the verdict on Sludge on road bike tubes? Does anyone even use it on the road bike tubes?

Does it work for road tubes? Or not?

Also, is there any issues with performance while using the sludge on road bike?

I have tried a few brands but not sludge.I have found that they spray a sticky mess all over the place till about 3 bar and then seal.If you are light and the road smooth you might get home.Just ride with a spare tube,some patches and a pump.

Thanks Ouzo and Gummibear. I went spent time this afternoon at the bike store asking details questions in this regard, also with your wise words, I'll give it a skip, and stick to regular tubes, pump and bombs. Best

............stick to regular tubes, pump.......Best

Put this way, I agree!

I have tried slime/sludge/snot but found it somewhat ineffective on the road and too messy, blocking valves. I'm faster changing a regular tube than to struggle to pump a half flat tube with a stuck valve, and do it again and again to get home. I ride on Continental Gatorskins with regular tubes and hardly ever puncture.

Slime/snot/sludge works very well in Mtb tubes where pressures are lower, volumes larger and the valve cores can be removed, Vaselined and cleaned. My childrens Mtbikes run this way and they only snake bite once in a while.

What's the vaseline for?

It is inevitable that some sludge will blow out through the valve when you attach a pump or let some air out. After a while, this often glues the valve stuck, so you cannot pump it up. If you do manage to get the valve open, then after inflating, it often doesn't seal properly and you have a slow leaking valve.

I remove the valve core and rub a little vaseline on and into its working parts. That way the sludge doesn't seem to stick to it and harden in the core preventing free movement of the parts.

I hope the above makes sense.

Put this way, I agree!

I have tried slime/sludge/snot but found it somewhat ineffective on the road and too messy, blocking valves. I'm faster changing a regular tube than to struggle to pump a half flat tube with a stuck valve, and do it again and again to get home. I ride on Continental Gatorskins with regular tubes and hardly ever puncture.

Slime/snot/sludge works very well in Mtb tubes where pressures are lower, volumes larger and the valve cores can be removed, Vaselined and cleaned. My childrens Mtbikes run this way and they only snake bite once in a while.

Yeah!!!! I got some Continental Gatorskins too, that should be alright. Thanks for sharing.