Fizik Gobi - Broken!

Gromit

I bought a Giant Anthem X1 about 4 months back and was happy to see it was shipped with a Fizik Gobi saddle as I have only heard good things about it. I initially had nothing but praise for the saddle, I even recommended it to a few mates.

All was fine until my ride this past weekend was ruined by a break right through the saddle.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t309/GromitZA/SP_A0157-1.jpg

Thankfully the bike including its saddle is still under warranty. What worries me though is that a brief chat with the shop assistant revealed that this is a common problem and they alone have returned over 5 of the "manganese rail' versions.

Has anyone else had any problems with these saddles?

Obviously they are going to replace it with the same saddle and I really don't want this to happen again. I also don't feel that after spending R26k on a bike that I should have to replace the saddle with a more "robust" make/model.     

Why not phone Ant Nash and speak to him first?...Instead of getting 2nd hand info from a shop assistant go to the source, if there is a genuine problem he'll sort it out...

Why not phone Ant Nash and speak to him first?...Instead of getting 2nd hand info from a shop assistant go to the source' date=' if there is a genuine problem he'll sort it out...[/quote']

Seems as if this is a common problem and that the saddle will be replaced, it just means a week without riding (or a loan unit from the LBS).

My 2 cents,

I was in the market for a saddle, and ended up with a selle italia, but a gobi was i the running. Spoke to the agents here in JHB and the were FANTASTIC. They sent a trial saddle to a bike shop for me, and gave such good service and advice.

So for what its worth give them a call, Im sure they will sort it out, based on my experiences anyways.

I have a Fizik Gobi on my GT - ALLMOST one year old...And it is still going strong.

My 2c worth - saddles don't just "break". They are not "shock absorbers". So when you sit when you are suppose to stand, it might break!

Ant Nash was very very helpful and replaced mine...also off an Anthem X1 and it broke similarly to yours although not all the way through.

I broke an Aliante too which Ant also replaced. I like the feel of the saddles, but I'll be honest I would not buy one.

I have a Fizik Gobi on my GT - ALLMOST one year old...And it is still going strong.

My 2c worth - saddles don't just "break". They are not "shock absorbers". So when you sit when you are suppose to stand' date=' it might break!
[/quote']

I think I would have had a sore a$$ if this was the case. I just got off my bike to climb a steep section of a trial and noticed the break on the saddle.

I did contact the agents and they have agreed to replace the saddle.

Now been using a Gobi for about 5 years now, basically since they entered the market. When my original model started sagging (not broken, now on kid's bike), I replaced it with the new Gobi XM is more rigid and seems better built. The cover peeled off the XM within 2 weeks; it was replaced by my LBS, no quibbles. Had this one for >2 years now, including 2 Epics. Definitely the most predominant saddle at the Epic.

Seems like all the saddles braking are on Giant bikes?? maybe its not the saddle but the bike!! Not absorbing all it should!! I have had a gobi on my trek DS for the last 2 years and still the best saddle in the world!! Go GOBI!!!

My Gobi XM hasn't given me any problems (touch wood). I am loving the saddle. Would recommend it to anyone!

I love the saddle as well, I am hoping that they are going to replace it with the titanium version (more rigid).

What bike do you ride? It is definitely starting to look like a problem with the combination of the Anthem and the Gobi