Truvativ GXP Rebuild

TooManyMatts

You can get a sleeve (I think Aerozine makes them) that lets you use a GXP crankset with a Shimano BB, so IMO you should be able to replace both bearings with 6805.2RS and use the spacer.

To check this, knock the bearings out as described in the 'how to' thread, and check the thickness and outside diameter of the bearings on either side with a vernier. If the only difference between the two is the inside diameter, it's a go.

(If it works, please let the 'how to' thread know about it)droo2009-09-23 01:05:43

I don't have a SRAM crank. I was asking because I want to get a new crank and I was worried about the durability of the GXP system.

Like Dirt-Rider said, this is a reason to stick with FSA or Raceface if you want an alternative to shimano because they are compatible with Hollowtech II and are therefore rebuilable.

It seems like a mission to go buy sleeves and run the risk of the rebuild not working anyway.

This may be off topic but why is it cheaper to order full cranks with BB's from crc than to buy just the rings? It seems odd for the replacement parts to be more expensive than a whole new system.

If you're looking at a crankset, I'd recommend a full Deore (2010) or SLX set from CRC. Raceface rings are m*er of a pricey, and IMO a 2nd hand Raceface crank is a bit dicey unless you know exactly what to look for. If they're not properly installed 1st time out the splines wear out and you can throw them away.

As to why rings are so expensive, I don't really know. Something to do with throwaway consumer culture I guess. If you look after your chain and replace it often enough you'll hardly ever touch your rings anyway though, they're pretty tough things.