New signs at Northern Farms....

AndreZA

On Saturday I saw Club 100 were so kind to put up directional signs on the routes at NF. For that I thank you. BUT people can not read. A few weeks ago I worked out a nice route to train on. On Saturday I got to the one intersection and saw that you should keep left and a yellow sign saying "NO CYCLIST ALLOWED...EVER". Fine, I kept left and without any problems I ended up almost at the same spot I wanted to be originally. On my second lap I saw about 10 people on that exact route that is off limits. What is wrong with people. Do they now want the powers to be take away another place to ride.

Was wondering about that sign... Why are we not allowed to cycle there... ever! Is it because of the grave yard and respect or something along those lines?

Ah

Thing is, its been a virtual free for all for so long with the old signs burnt by fires or turned the wrong way that it is entrenched. Bad habits die hard

Its like expecting taxi drivers to drive like saints overnight with new points demerrit system coming in.

I ride there regularly and have mailed whatisname to ask if anything will be done to sort out, so I am glad to see things have been done

Its a great place to ride but we all need to put in the effort to make sure it stays that way, so for some it means obeying the signs (rules), kind of tricky without an enforcer. Trust is the key

I have been riding at NF for many years. Not once have I seen a map of the routes. If you start following a route you have no idea what distance you are going to end up doing etc. I ride on my own most of the time and I try avoid the more dangerous sections when the Farm is quiet. If I remember correctly, you can BUY a map at the ticket office but I feel that this should be GIVEN out each time you buy a ticket as the routes are constantly being added to. Another option is to have a big sign board at the start showing the various routes. I am a signed up member of the Northern Farm forum and I am going to raise this issue with the mtb representative.

Dont you know that a cyclist's on and off switch for their brains is situated on their buttocks and that once they take seat on a bicycle seat then this button goes to the off position, no this button also controlls cyclist ability to be considerate as well as their ability to abide by the rules of the road.

On Saturday I saw Club 100 were so kind to put up directional signs on the routes at NF. For that I thank you. BUT people can not read. A few weeks ago I worked out a nice route to train on. On Saturday I got to the one intersection and saw that you should keep left and a yellow sign saying "NO CYCLIST ALLOWED...EVER". Fine' date=' I kept left and without any problems I ended up almost at the same spot I wanted to be originally. On my second lap I saw about 10 people on that exact route that is off limits. What is wrong with people. Do they now want the powers to be take away another place to ride.[/quote']

Is that the section past the grave yard? I pointed out the signage to some dumb@ssed tjops last week and they just carried on!!!

Correct Mark and Ricky. It is indeed that route and I think it might be due to the graveyard. But even if there are no clear reason why you can not ride there, one should always be adhering to the signs. They don't have to let cyclist ride there, they are doing us a favour.

The recreational users (Horse, MTB, Birding etc) at NF surely bring the farm a decent income?? How much do they plough back into the farm based on proportional representation?

It would be nice if they could cut some good singletrack in the lower sections. Kinda like Groenkloof/Fountains - which is a municipal run park

NF is JHb Water

?

It seems that common courtesy is an issue in general on the Farms, i.e. riders (with or without children) gathering at certain intersections and blocking them. Having absolutely no regard for oncoming cyclists, even when they SEE YOU COMING down a hill at unholy speeds. Angry

Sorry for the hijack.

A couple of years ago, all the riders used to greet each other while riding @ NF. Now, you are lucky if you even get a grunt.

A couple of years ago' date=' all the riders used to greet each other while riding @ NF. Now, you are lucky if you even get a grunt.

[/quote']

I do some times but I'm not gonna greet 200 times and 75% of those I have greeted on my first lap.

A couple of years ago' date=' all the riders used to greet each other while riding @ NF. Now, you are lucky if you even get a grunt.
[/quote']

I do some times but I'm not gonna greet 200 times and 75% of those I have greeted on my first lap.

A good idea is to have cycling shirts with the word ?HELLO? printed on it. I also greet, but I get peed off if I see these Yuppies not even grunting. I then ignore everyone. So I if I am cycling at NF and look like a Yuppie cyclist that don?t greet I apologise. LOL<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

A couple of years ago' date=' all the riders used to greet each other while riding @ NF. Now, you are lucky if you even get a grunt. [/quote']

I've also noticed that folk don't greet much anymore. If I ride with my camera tourer bag mounted on my handlebars then virtually nobody greets me!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I'm fairly new to the sport and so far, I've only ventured out to Northern farm and the Spruit.

I don't ride at the spruit on my own, but enjoy Northern farm on my own as I feel safe.

Your comment on ' I stay away from danger areas when the farm is quite??' what part is that? also, the small loop, i.e just over the little river to the left.. how far is that?