Cassette

thehermanator

My advice: Find another LBS

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="" lang="EN-ZA"><font face="Times New Roman">How is this for being between a rock and a hard place' date=' my nearest other LBS is CajeesDead ? you catch my drift? <o:p></o:p></span>

[/quote']Then consider this a perfect opportunity to learn how to service and repair your own bike! My work has me on short-time and the two closest bikes shops are expensive and don't know much more than I do... so I now do my own work... this weekend I learnt to re-build my wheel... far better than the bike shop would've.

so, i assume you're in bedforview, kensington area...why not take a trip further east. some decent shops out that way?

Bingo!! I know of only one other shop which is the one at Rietvlei - at least one I might trust doing some work on my bike. Any other ones you might recommend? Servicing my own things is a good option, but there are certain things I would not dare touching yetBig%20smile.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Herman I've heard good things about Finish Line Cycles in Kempton Park. Just Cycles in Alberton are also quite good.

Herman I've heard good things about Finish Line Cycles in Kempton Park. Just Cycles in Alberton are also quite good.

Thank you, good to know that there are some other options out there, and now I know there are more than one. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

You do not have to replace a cassette with each chain replaced.

the general rule is that if you measure between 2 links on a new chain it should be 1 inch exactly.

lots of riding wears and streatches a chain, as the pin holes slowly elongate.

You can easily keep an eye on a chain with a ruler or a measuring tool (BBB or Park tool). As soon as the chain gets to 1 and 1/8 inch long, its time to replace the chain. If you change the chain now it will have little impact on the cassette.

If you leave the stretched chain on however, it really starts to marry itself to the cassette, changing and moulding itself with the cassette. you can carry on riding no problem at all, but if you break the chain or try change it long after it has stretched, you will most likely have to change the cassette as it will skip and jump with a new chain on it. very frustrating, but thats wear n tear for you.

keep an eye on your gear, keep it clean, and you will have many many hours of riding.

Oh yes, each time I dare enter Tony Impeys shop, I first make sure I am in a damn good mood. Its sooooo dry in there, that all the good advice can really spoil your day...

Thank you' date=' good to know that there are some other options out there, and now I know there are more than one. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

[/quote']

maybe post the mileage you have done with the cassette and chain

it might also make it clearer

lotsa other factors, I know, but as an indicator.

From what you told me, I dont believe the cassette needs replacing