Cassette

thehermanator

I discovered after 5 months of riding that my chain got stretched to the extend that I need to replace my cassette too, but not sure what cassettes will be compatible for my Giant Anthem X1, any suggestions please.

And is it true that I have to replace the cassette every time I have to replace the chain? Wow that?s a big expense over and above the normal service and other things that needs replacing every now and then.  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

thehermanator2009-09-28 03:16:03

No that's not true at all! You're supposed to check your chain once in a while, and when it's stretched out to a certain point then replace the chain... the idea being you replace the chain before it damages your cassette!

Just how much you been riding? To replace your chain after only 5 months of riding sounds dodgy, nevermind the cassette!? Who told you to replace?

Casettes has absolutely nothing to do with what bike you've got. Can can also mix and match between Sram or Shimano 9 speed casettes. Get a HG53 chain and SLX casette.

No that's not true at all! You're supposed to check your chain once in a while' date=' and when it's stretched out to a certain point then replace the chain... the idea being you replace the chain before it damages your cassette!

Just how much you been riding? To replace your chain after only 5 months of riding sounds dodgy, nevermind the cassette!? Who told you to replace?
[/quote']

Tony Impey told me to replace the cassette without even looking at it, they told me it must be replaced every time I replace the chain, I put on a new chain but am worried that I just cause more damage.

Wrong.

You could go through three chains at least for one cassette.

I have done 4000km on mine in two chains and still shifting fine!

bollocks to replacing the cassette...put on a new chain if it skips or jumps then replace the cassette. I am afraid that bike shops can sometimes be a little bit quick to replace parts.

I did 6000km on my anthem X1 on one cassette..no issues, and that is a LOT more riding than most folks do.

As mamparra said SRAM or shimano no diffs.

Tony Impey told me to replace the cassette without even looking at it' date=' they told me it must be replaced every time I replace the chain, I put on a new chain but am worried that I just cause more damage.
[/quote']

BS alert. I end up with a new cassette every 3 or 4 chains. Normally need to replace the middle ring at about the same time.

I've found the SRAM PG990 cassettes to be good value for money, but can't comment yet about longevity.

If your chain is stretched into kingdom come you have to replace the cassette. The new shorter chain will never mesh properly.

Tony Impey told me to replace the cassette without even looking at it' date=' they told me it must be replaced every time I replace the chain, I put on a new chain but am worried that I just cause more damage.
[/quote']

I have often received dodgey advise from the guys @ Tony Impey when I have wondered in there. It is interesting to see how his bike prices have now come in-line with the rest of the shops in the area.

If you go there looking for something they don't have in stock they will tell you that it is no longer available, or you can't get that brand in SA and tell you that you must take something else they recommend, the more expensive option, even when you bought the same thing from them three weeks ago. Then you go back there in a few weeks time, et voila, they have these items.

Ziggy2009-09-28 03:42:08

my chain got stretched

Dude' date=' please pm this to johan boringman. Please.
[/quote']

Can't find him on the database what is his Hub name? No worries found him. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

thehermanator2009-09-28 03:47:27

Don't go back there, simple as that, the guys there are ether intentionally telling lies in order to boost sales or just don't have a clue what they talking about... either way just don't go back. After 5 months of riding I would a) find a reputable bike shop and have the chain checked and/or b) just replace the chain.

My advice: Find another LBS

How is this for being between a rock and a hard place, my nearest other LBS is CajeesDead ? you catch my drift? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

How is this for being between a rock and a hard place' date=' my nearest other LBS is CajeesDead ? you catch my drift?

[/quote']

Then consider this a perfect opportunity to learn how to service and repair your own bike! My work has me on short-time and the two closest bikes shops are expensive and don't know much more than I do... so I now do my own work... this weekend I learnt to re-build my wheel... far better than the bike shop would've.

?

<p style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"><span style="" lang="EN-ZA"><font face="Times New Roman">How is this for being between a rock and a hard place' date=' my nearest other LBS is CajeesDead ? you catch my drift? <o:p></o:p></span>

[/quote']Then consider this a perfect opportunity to learn how to service and repair your own bike! My work has me on short-time and the two closest bikes shops are expensive and don't know much more than I do... so I now do my own work... this weekend I learnt to re-build my wheel... far better than the bike shop would've.

so, i assume you're in bedforview, kensington area...why not take a trip further east. some decent shops out that way?