Anthem 1 rear suspension

anthemboy

That's interesting since my shock was serviced 2 weeks ago in Cape Town and I can easily remove the reducers.

When I bought my bike there was a slight play on that bottom bolt. We tightend it but realised it was already tight enough. We ordered a new bolt and that seemed to have solved the problem. Then a new creeck started and true as bob - bearing seazed. Fortunately Giant acc manager was at the shop when they discovered this. They replaced it at no charge. replaced one bearing already and still after 2 hours of cycling it started again. It seems entire rear traingle will be disassembled and investigated tonight.

Thanks for all the tips.

So after all the dismantelling Friday my bike still creacked. Think my front bearing is worn. Has a ratchit feel to it.

This therefore asks the question. Is this due to the new design of Giant or is it lower quality bearings?

I'm not sure.  I will ask my mech this afternoon.

I was checking the wifes new anthem (3 months old - older version frame) out on Saturday.  It had a creaking noise when pushing down on the suspension. 

I eventually tracked it down to the same bearing on the left hand side as in my picture.  When pulling and pushing the back wheel from side to side, the bearing moves in and out, making a clicking noise.  It seems that the bolt, even though it is tight, is not clamping the bearing.  It seems a washer between the bolt head and the bearing is necessary.  Couldn't believe it!

I might be wrong,but I think the sleves and stainless bolts you fitted are not the correct fit.I would advise fitting the alloy bolt and new bearing + spacer between stay and rocker link.

You also need to check if the bearing in the stay is tight fitting ,if not you need to sort it with locktite 603.This is not normal locktite that we all know...it is a retaining compound app. R250.00 for 100 ml.

The anthem suspesion is great when it works ,but when things go wrong,you need to know where to find the clicks and squeeks.

Good luck.

My bike with the stainless bolts are fine for now. 

The play I found was on my wife's bike which is new.  The bearing is not very tightly fit.  I can push it out with my finger.  It also moves in and out with about 0.5mm when pressed into place.  It worries me that the bolt is not clamping the bearing inner.I appears that I would need to put a shim between the bolt head and the bearing inner to increase the clamp load.

I measured the sleeve spacer length and it was the same as the spare ones I have.

Am I missing the point here?  I you look at the photo of the bolt, bearing and sleeve, it seems that the only thing which keeps the bearing and the rear triangle from moving .5mm sideways, is the press fit of the bearing?  Of course the distance of this movement will be determined by the gap between the rear triangle and the pivot triangle. 

So would green loctite then help here to keep the bearing in place?

20091014_034656_DSC07711a.jpg

20091014_073455_Diagram.JPG
anthemboy2009-10-14 07:35:40

no not green locktite.

the the locktite 603 is designed to make loose fitting bearings fit better,you put a few drops where the bearing will fit,

then insert the bearing till it stops ,re-fit the spacers and bolts but do not put weight on the bike for 24 hours.

You are correct in saying that the bearing determines where things sit and align.the spacers and bolt just join to the bearing and the rocker....so if bearing is loose in frame,you will have movement,which is no good.

We only have the 638 (green) at work at the moment.  Will try and find the 603 somewhere.

PS:  Will I be able to remove the bearing again when it needs replacement?anthemboy2009-10-15 01:09:24

I recently stripped my suspension and replaced the bearings (on a Commencal Meta 5), the main pivot bearings/axel required some Loctite to take up some play. I used Loctite 641 which is specifically for bearings and is removable. It was recommended on one of the sites I trawled. I struggled to find the stuff locally and ended up ordering from RS-online. It was quite expensive but you don't use very much so it should last.

I found it on the net this morning and thought it would be the safest to use.  It is of medium strength where the 603 and 638 is of high strength.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

LOCTITE? 641 provides the following product characteristics:

Technology Acrylic

Chemical Type Methacrylate Ester

Appearance (uncured) Yellow liquidLMS

Fluorescence Negative

Components One component - requires no mixing

Viscosity Medium

Cure Anaerobic

Secondary Cure Activator

Application Retaining

Strength Medium

LOCTITE? 641 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting

parts, particularly where disassembly is required for service

operations. The product cures when confined in the absence of

air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening

and leakage from shock and vibration. Typical applications

include retention of bearings onto shafts and into housings.