MAVIC CROSSMAX SLR RELIABILITY

Schwynn

you call and ask. we have 8 giants in the house, 4 sets of slr's and a pair of mavic fury shoes. I know Marco and the boss of dragon personally. want to question me further?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mavic's freehub bearing do need service now and then but you will see when because the freewheel dont spin as freely as usual. other than that they are SWEET

I deducted from all the reviews that Mavics are stiff and makes the bike handle better. My worries are about bearing going pop when you don't expect it, 100 miles from nowhere!

I ride Mavic Crossmax SL's I weigh a bit more that their weight limit. I have just come off a 30kay ride at Holla Trails in Ballito and if any of you stay in KZN you will know how it's been pissing for the last few days, extreme muddy conditions, no issues with the hubs, no squeaking, noises nada! Mavic hubs are also a peice of old takkie to service, their bearings are sealed so I don't know where all the bleating about their bearings come from. The wheel set comes with a small wrench to take the freebody outers off and once you have removed the freebody, clean the muck out, put in 6-10 drops of mineral oil and bobs your aunty sorted. Like with all wheels look after them and they will look after you. Stregnth wise there is no issue as the spokes and nipples screw into the rim and not an additional nipple, I think Mavic call it fore drilling or something, very clever bit of inivation. Remenber Crossmax were the first wheels to get the lefty hub design right and satisfy Cannondales mechanics, the top end lefty's still have Crossmax SLR wheels as STD equipment. You will not be dissaponted with these wheels super, super choice. usually the detractors are just jealous. Besides the back up service for Mavic in SA is also top class.

The Eastons are the only wheel set that start off with a perfectly round rim and rely on spoke tension for their stregnth, they are all hand made and their spokes are acoustically tuned, they are pulled tighter than a seals wotnot. This is what gives them their longevity and stregnth, Eastons are the purist wheel fundi's choice!

Anyhow good luck, make the choice best for you as long as it's the Mavic'aLOL

no the bearing will NEVER do that. the wheel bearings feel as god as new even after 5000km. the freehub bearing just become stiff BUT the 09 model mavic claims to have sorted the problem. feel free to pm me if you have questions

you call and ask. we have 8 giants in the house' date=' 4 sets of slr's and a pair of mavic fury shoes. I know Marco and the boss of dragon personally. want to question me further?[/quote'] Thats nice, I know Mick Jagger that does not make me a Stones fundi.

What about Crankbrother Cobalts????hmmm ok so they blue but flip im impressed

Now you got me crying again!!!!!CryCryCryCry

Those wheels are super hot!!!!!!!!

no the bearing will NEVER do that. the wheel bearings feel as god as new even after 5000km. the freehub bearing just become stiff BUT the 09 model mavic claims to have sorted the problem. feel free to pm me if you have questions
Ja they have sorted it out mine are the 09 and no hassles, the freewheel is so easy to service that is a non issue really.

What about Crankbrother Cobalts????hmmm ok so they blue but flip im impressed

Now you got me crying again!!!!!CryCryCryCry

Those wheels are super hot!!!!!!!!

Me too those wheels are sick!! No weight limit either, seems Bicicletta have parts too so also worthy cjoice but they are not cheap retail at 11,5k for the Cobolts, the Iodine are better for trail riding though, they are 2mm wider to accommodate wider tyres.