Parktool Junk

JPW#

I've  allways liked the parktool range of tools BUT for anyone out there cosidering buying a parktool multitool like the IB3 be warned, I fitted 2 chains and the chaintool is so badly damaged thats its basically useless.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Multitools are NOT workshop tool. Buy the correct tools and you will not be disappointed. Do not blame Park, blame yourself!!!!!!!

Multitools are NOT workshop tool. Buy the correct tools and you will not be disappointed. Do not blame Park' date=' blame yourself!!!!!!![/quote'] smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

Dankie OOM thats the same path as i was on

ParkTool makes some good stuff, some utter junk.

Junk:

1) ParkTool Hammer/Mallet combo. A few hammer strokes and the threaded plastic mallet is history.

2) ParkTool External BB cup remover. Doesn't work on some suspension bikes because of its completely round shape. It needs a gap in front to make it look like  two-pronged fork.

3) ParkTool chain checker. Based on poor science. Junk.

4) ParkTool cable cutter. Requires a giant to operate since the cutter's handles are a mile apart. It also has the crappiest closing clip I've ever come across. It always pops off.

5) Parktool cassette lockring removers. They're based on Imperial spanner sizes of 1 inch. Nothing in the civilised world other than a shifting spanner works on it. since a 25mm spanner is just too small and a 26 just too big. Besides, it should have its own handle, not rely on another tool.

6) Parktool splined BB remover tool. Cannot lock onto the BB and Parktool suggests you use a bicycle skewer. Other companies have clever integrated locks. Also, their tools have their own handle, this one requires a 3/8th drive socket ratchet.

Besides, ParkTool is overpriced.

Johan Bornman2009-10-03 11:50:14

ParkTool makes some good stuff' date=' some utter junk.

Junk:

[/quote']

please elaborate.

Junk:

[/quote']

please elaborate.

Wonder if the local video shoppe in Cuvango will have "Groundhog Day"...... I feel a sense of  d?j? vu coming on!!!!!!...WinkBig%20smile
Big H2009-10-03 12:08:45

Junk:

[/quote']

please elaborate.

Wonder if the local video shoppe in Cuvango will have "Groundhog Day"...... I feel a sense of  d?j? vu coming on!!!!!!...WinkBig%20smile

Go on Johan's Bicycle repair course and you will be enlightenedWink
iragr2009-10-03 12:25:46

Junk:

[/quote']

please elaborate.

Go on Johan's Bicycle repair course and you will be enlightenedWink

I would love to do that...... but I see no sense in learning what I know again!!!!!!!

using my chain remover twise wouldnt be considered workshop abuse, so yeah....It might be a dud... I emailed the guys in the states to see what they say.

Junk:

[/quote']

please elaborate.

Paul, I've written about this extensively and it has been dabated ad nauseum. I'm sure if you search for posts with me as author and chain checker as keyword, you'll find it.

I've also posted something under one of my Workshop Stories series on how to modify a ParkTool ruler (now there's a nice tool) to also meaure chains.

Read this as well:

I'll allow you to make up your own mind.

4) ParkTool cable cutter. Requires a giant to operate since the cutter's handles are a mile apart. It also has the crappiest closing clip I've ever come across. It always pops off.

I'll agree with you there.

I bought mine new. Since then I've cut six brake cables and outers and six derailleur cables and outers. It can no longer cut straight through a cable. Instead it makes a messy cut and leaves two or three cable strands uncut and jammed between the blades. Tightening the bolt has not helped.

What's a good alternative?

A good electicians side cutter. I have a king tony and it cuts like a dream.

The chain cleaner is a load of ****, used it twice and turfed it.

So toothbrush and engen cleaner works well.

I use the tooth brush and parafin and clean green or prepsol for the rest. I dont know much about other cleaners, learned that from working as a mechanic in a bike shop, it works and we used to buy the HUGE drums of prepsol en mixed it with water to save some costs)

I'll agree with you there.
I bought mine new. Since then I've cut six brake cables and outers and six derailleur cables and outers. It can no longer cut straight through a cable. Instead it makes a messy cut and leaves two or three cable strands uncut and jammed between the blades. Tightening the bolt has not helped.

What's a good alternative?

I have an el-cheapo cable cutter that I bought at Builders Warehouse. The cutting surface also gets messy after a few cuts. I them polish the burr away with one of my Lansky Knife Sharpener stones. It is quick and easy and I have used it now since 2003 like that. I even use it to cut bicycle spokes to make biltong hooks.

the only park tool i like is the Braai tongs and bottle opener. for the rest BBB suits me fine at a fraction of the park tool cost...

as for Prepsol, it works too well. removes every bit of lube from deep within the chain, and relubing doesnt get the oil in again properly (unless you soak the chain), so now I just use a chain scrubber and light degreaser = longer life for the chain. 
Rude2009-10-04 10:09:19