Mavic Crossmax Freewheel Problem

Green Mamba

I had some serious problems with my Mavic Crossmax wheels during the Epic in that the freewheel body started to malfunction at high speeds. It turned out to be some deisgn flaw with a synthetic bush on the inside of the body that collects dirt and then start rubbing.

A number of other riders seem to experience the same problem.

The advice from my LBS is to remove the rubber seal on the inside of this bush because the theory is that this is actually the culprit that causes the noise anf the friction, resulting in reverse chain suck.

Any solutions? Do I need to replace the freewheel body at a cost of R500?

1: Remove freewheel body

2: Remove ALL grease

3: Clean ratchet pins

4: Use Finishline wet lube(die groen proppie)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5: Put 10-15ml inside freewheel body

6: Reassemble

7: Thank Oertelsmileys/smiley4.gifsmileys/smiley4.gif

If you remove the seal, you will endup having play on the body( freewheel body and hub that is)smileys/smiley11.gif The seal was put there for a reason, not just to make things difficult and to look pretty!!!!

Oertel has the answer!

This is what I did after day one at the Epic!  No more problems!!!

Step by step!

The other solution is to take a scalpel to the seal, you only need to cut off about 2-3mm, then clean and lube (finish line works well), reassemble and off you go. It is a design flaw prevalent in all their top end freewheel bodies, started in 2001 when they decided to use a nylon bush instead of a bearing like they were using in the previous bodies.

Thanks guys, I will try it hopefully sometime this weekend and give feedback. I am glad to hear that the fix is relatively simple and is not gonna cost a lot of money.