MANKELE Avalanche Race!!!

Mr. Nature

Wink21st & 22nd November is the first of it's kind race in S.A. not to be missed! This is especially for all you downhill single track junkies, who like a little bit of speed and technical. There are 3 different runs, 2 on Saturday & 1  on Sunday. Your entry includes tent and mattresses & use of all Mankele facilities for the weekend. Bring your full susser or hard tail, which ever you feel more comfortable and faster on.

The tracks are 90% downhill, with boardwalks, bridges, steep drop-ins & the fastest flowing single track this side of the North Pole!!

For more info go to www.mankele.co.za or call  Mark/Geoff : 082 33 895 32/3
Mr. Nature2009-10-24 11:36:31

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Nature,

Tell us more (I have already entered..... 5 minutes after seeing the event!)

Distance? Drop? Terrain? What bike do you suggest?  Downhill rig or All mountain bike?

See you on the weekend of the 21st!

Thanks!

SmileNo, it's not related, but it's the same concept. Longer than a normal downhill race, but not as technical and there are some peddaly sections. Awesome, fun, amazing & wickked!!!

WinkIt depends if you're there for the fun or the podium. A downhill rig will get heavy on those flatter peddly sections. Each track is ridable on a hard tail (not very comfortable). My recomendation is a long travel, full susser, all mountain bike eg. my BLUR LT.

Mark & I are riding stage 1. & 2. tomorrow morning at 05:00am, so I'll keep you posted on distances & drop. Later. 

ClapWhat a ride! Stage 1. is quite technical. It starts with a bit of up & down, then gets steeper and faster. This stage is 98% single track. The first half is open grass land and has a few tight corners. The second section is more rocky, with some step downs and ends off with 2 fast, steep & short sections. Distance:4.26km, Ascent: 24m & Descent : 344m

Stage 2. is a bit longer and faster. The first 2km are insanly fast jeep track, and the remainder is flowing single track. This section of track takes you over a series of board walks, streams, bridges & a bushtunnel. You will definately finish this stage with a smile from ear to ear. Distance : 6.11km, Ascent : 20m & Descent : 310m.

We'll be doing stage 3 tomorrow morning & let you know.

I am so excited :-) I am giggeling!

What times (what was your times) can we expect for the 3 stages?

Cheers!

WinkStage 3. is a little shorter, approximately 4.5km, ascent 20m and descent of 260m. It consists mainly of single track, with 4 or 5 bridges, one nasty dropp off that most who have been to Mankele will know about & some hecticly fast steep descents.

As for times, Stage 1. +- 18min, Stage 2. +- 10min & Stage 3. Oh man, I forgot to stop my garmin.

We might be swopping some of the stages around, so please be at the briefing so that you know whats up & know your shuttle times.

Later.

NB. Only 76 spot open!!!!