Parktool...Happy to replace "products not on par"

JPW#

After complaining about my badly worn multitool, this is what Parktool USA had to say 

"Sorry to hear about the problem.  Please send us a postal address and we can send a replacement"

All in all good service from one of the best bike toolmakers out there.   

Interesting.... A lot of our local bike & componentry agencies could take a leaf out of their book. Makes me wonder why the importers of Park Tools in SA could not assist? Heres an up to Park Tools..........

Interesting.... A lot of our local bike & componentry agencies could take a leaf out of their book. Makes me wonder why the importers of Park Tools in SA could not assist? Heres an up to Park Tools..........

I cannot speak for these distributors, but to a lot of them it is a bothersome task sorting out customer's problems. They start out all full of vigour and verve and get things done.

Soon there is a problem that becomes too much for them to handle. Shipment comes in late, rate of exchange variances make the LBS's unhappy, a bad batch of product gives rise to warranty claims, and so on and so forth.

Now suddenly this disty has to step up to the plate and do something. This is where they fall short. The gross profit that they have been making is not ploughed back into the business in any noticeable percentage. New cars, nicer premises, salary increases (mostly for the upper echelons, not the tea lady) and the like take up the majority of their money made.

Now they have to replace faulty kit with new kit "for free" but realise that there is nothing for free. They need to ship the faulty kit they have exchanged out back to the manufacturer at their "cost".

The reason why manufacturers chose a distribution model over a direct model is to pass on these mundane tasks to another party. There is money to be made by a distributor, but suddenly there is not enough money being made, so they hike the price up.

LBS's do not see the product being sold at the new price and therefore order less of it (or even worse, they get their stock and are stuck with it because we cannot afford the new price).

The distributor needs to add some VALUE to the whole chain or they become 10-20% leeches for doing precious little. Their actions can further the brand in a country if driven correctly. Conversely, if the cock it up, they could irreparably damage a brand as well.

i had a problem with getting a flask top from a cadac product. they sent me two with me even asking for it. i wanted to buy a replacement cap.

good service is possible. go cadac

Well done to Park, Polar and Cadac. I love hearing "good news" stories in these dark days of doom and gloom and Julius.

So maybe talking to the right people will get you further, quicker,rather than posting it here...?

Now they have to replace faulty kit with new kit "for free" but realise that there is nothing for free. They need to ship the faulty kit they have exchanged out back to the manufacturer at their "cost".

The reason why manufacturers chose a distribution model over a direct model is to pass on these mundane tasks to another party. There is money to be made by a distributor' date=' but suddenly there is not enough money being made, so they hike the price up.

[/quote']

Hmm, yah, I agree with your post in principle, maybe a little basic,Wink but, yah,..........however,I think the replacements and the manufacturer / distributor link needs a little elaboration to be fair.

The issue is usually that manufacturers dont just replace any product sent to them by the distributor, they will evaluate ALL returns to see if they were indeed, (a) within warranty, (b) manufacturer fault, © not abused, and any other criteria they may have, replacements  are not just shipped out because you are a nice guy, "No Siree bob" - so, the distributor here sits with the issue, do I loose a customer because I dont repair, replace or do I keep the customer happy and just replace, but take a chance the supplier wont replace to me, leaving me out of pocket.??

Manufacturers also utilize a "Return Ratio" formula to determine if all is legit, in other words they will know in their biggest market they get say a 2% return, now suddenly say they get a 10% return from SA (a small market) - obviously they will be very cautious if not downright suspicious, free returns are very costly to a manufacturer, in these tough times they will be turning over every return three times before issueing a credit or a replacement. 

Manufacturers also look for  a distribution company because they may not understand every countries market, what they want, what they need and are able to afford, logistically and financially it also makes sense to them, only a distributor can provide this info and financial security, but it comes at a cost to the distributor, in the holding of bulk product, accounts to resellers which may or may not get paid, technical issues, and so on and so on.

Thats why I say the Park Tool issue here is odd to say the least, under the normal "chain of distribution / sale", the manufacturer (Park Tool) would refer the problem to its local distributor for attention and not get involved.

The very fact they got involved tells me, that perhaps, all is not cozy with the local distributor, and the relationship here, if there is one, is strained!.

To me it says Park Tool USA is concerned and protecting its market, independantly of any local distribution, which is very,very, unusual, thats usually left to the appointed distributor.

porky2009-10-07 23:33:45

And Polar did not let me down, excellent service as always!

Unit replaced no problem but the audacity of expecting me to accept a unit that was a different colour pfffft ( as Dirt*girl would say!). The old one blended so nicely with the Specialized colours ... Wink

Fast friendly service and no discussion about the replacement Clap

And Polar did not let me down' date=' excellent service as always!

Unit replaced no problem but the audacity of expecting me to accept a unit that was a different colour pfffft ( as Dirt*girl would say!). The old one blended so nicely with the Specialized colours ... Wink

Fast friendly service and no discussion about the replacement Clap
[/quote']

Yah, look, I dont use Polar, but they have a good reputation in general, however, I am sure if one looked hard enough you would find a few souls who felt hard done by from the polar agents and had switched to another brand or would swear blind the product was terrible. Sadly, no distributor can please everyone, all the time, some just do a better job than others at keeping most customer happy.!

porky2009-10-07 14:21:01