RAVE - Groenkloof

DawieO

20091011_030205_Small_Groenkloo.jpg

I have been a visitor to the Groenkloof reserve for many years, and have been very encouraged to see constant improvement.

Yesterday we had a great ride there, and for the first time I actually saw an official enforce the "no helmet no ride" rule.  That was deeply impressive even if, as Nick likes to point out, it isn't my head and shoudn't bug me.

The Groenkloof folk have gone further even, in producing a lovely full-color map of both the MTb and hiking trails, and added to that a bird, plant and mammal listing for those avid spotters.

It truly is a privilege to have such an amazing place, so well run and available for us to enjoy.

DawieO2009-10-11 03:04:36

agreed, david, it's still under R20 for the day, isn't it? and the facilities are great. the ablution block are well maintained too!

The best R18.50 you can spend.

Car is safe, ablutions are clean, braai facilities available and there is even a decent lapa and hut if you want to make a weekend of it.

Fantastic place.

Awesome place. Honing your MTB skills here is just LEKKA! and you can pop around to the Fountains side of things without extra fees.

LOL

Well done to the management of the place.  I see they now tackled Klapperkop as well, so that is going to give us some more riding havenClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

groenkloof has always been there ... but the last few years they went through a lot of trouble.

seems like mountainbiking is exploding ... gornekloof & fountains, but also van gaalens, rietvlei, northern farms, teak place - lots of safe FUN singletrack everywhere, lots of playgrounds !

I noticed 7 new giraffe at the bottom in the past 2 weeks - anyone know if they were recently introduced? I only ever saw 2 or 3 on top of the hill. The "new" ones are very inquisitive, we stopped and they approached to within 5 meters till some idiot riders came rushing through on their very important training ride as if the animals didn't exist. Agree, been riding there the past 5 years and in my mind it's the number 1 MTB park in South Africa.

I noticed 7 new giraffe at the bottom in the past 2 weeks - anyone know if they were recently introduced? I only ever saw 2 or 3 on top of the hill. The "new" ones are very inquisitive' date=' we stopped and they approached to within 5 meters till some idiot riders came rushing through on their very important training ride as if the animals didn't exist. Agree, been riding there the past 5 years and in my mind it's the number 1 MTB park in South Africa.[/quote']

I don't think the 7 giraffe are new. A friend got so close to that he reckons it could have drooled on him if it wanted to. smiley36.gif

I have been riding at Groenkloof ever since it was opened up to mountain bikers (about 1994/1995 I think). My first ever race was at Groenies as was my first ever crash! In those days entrance was free and then they eventually started charging R5.

It looked so different then as it was a forest. They decided to restore it to its original grasslands and the animals were added over time. The work they have done adding new tracks and rehabilitating the reserve is astounding. We are really fortunate to have such a place to ride.

Is there a lot of climbing? and is the mostly single track??

Groenies has a couple of nice climbs but none of them are exceptionally long. Onion hill needs special mention as it is fairly steep (6% gradient I think) and carries on for over 1km if I remember correctly. There is such a wide route choice and you can do a whole ride without hitting singletrack if you so wish. Look at the map and you'll get an idea of where the jeep track and singletrack is situated.

I noticed 7 new giraffe at the bottom in the past 2 weeks - anyone know if they were recently introduced? I only ever saw 2 or 3 on top of the hill. The "new" ones are very inquisitive' date=' we stopped and they approached to within 5 meters till some idiot riders came rushing through on their very important training ride as if the animals didn't exist. Agree, been riding there the past 5 years and in my mind it's the number 1 MTB park in South Africa.[/quote']

I don't think the 7 giraffe are new. A friend got so close to that he reckons it could have drooled on him if it wanted to. smiley36.gif

i've seen five together, and they remained quite calm but wary as we rode in between them. smiley1.gif

There is such a wide route choice and you can do a whole ride without hitting singletrack if you so wish.

why on earth would someone so wish? smiley3.gif smiley36.gif