Crater Cruise Water Points

Daxiet

I rode the 101 (103km) route with 2 water bottles I had to refill at the water points. Anyway by the time I got back to the finish I was stained red as though I was kid who had OD on squeezie juice. Anyway cleaning my bottles out a couple mins ago I gave the juice a good sniff test and it is definetly not any know Energy drink. I smells like cheap kiddies juice.

In a race that is well sponsored and not cheap to enter, why can't they afford proper energy drink. Especially in extremely hot conditions where you need certain minerals replenished and obviously carb replacement. Juice won't cut it. Poor showing to say the least.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Agteros

You made it to the end did you not? What was lacking in your eating regime is not the organisers problem.

All you should expect from a race is water. Take my own food / fuel / energy (carbs) replacements. It is a MTB race, not a hotel outing

Maybe it was berry flavoured game... high tech energy drinks are way overrated!

Camelback is if you planning to camp out there. Sorry all the decent races cater with some recognised energy drink (Scratch that, even many low end races have recognised energy drink). Had I known they were cost cutting I would have packed in some USN powder. Just never expected it from a "high end" race.

As for carrying what I needed I did carry all one normally expects to carry (that included something to eat and gels. Just didn't expect to have to carry my picnic pack with me. (That said I own a camelback and only use it for training). So by no means a lack of planning, I am simply saying its not what I would expect from a decent endurance race.

On the note of energy drink being over rated, I strongly think you do some research. They carry carbs and the sodium and potassium are very important minerals that are lost through sweat.

Daxiet2009-10-11 08:29:46

I think on the entries they should ask what you would like to drink, energy dynamics, fit, usn, eas, evox, enervit, red bull etc. The water points should look like a buffet. As for dirt rider and I , Red Heart and Captain Morgan respectively.

The water points do look like a buffet. I sh*t you not.

At the halfwaypoint on the 105k they stop the race for you so that you can pull in and have lunch on them...

The crater hase thee best water stops ever' date=' you have some nerve complaining... ASS.[/quote']

You had a great CC 2009 then?

Great, no need to insult others if they state an opinion.

I also did it this year & I'm with GT on this one.

People had different experiences.

Some points were late in setting up.

Some had no water.

And I also though the red stuff was some "aanmaak koeldrank."

Oh, wait, USN is one of the sponsors?

And yes I had a Camelbak.

Next time I will carry my own sachets with powder.

Guest Agteros

Camelback is if you planning to camp out there. Sorry all the decent races cater with some recognised energy drink (Scratch that' date=' even many low end races have recognised energy drink). Had I known they were cost cutting I would have packed in some USN powder. Just never expected it from a "high end" race.

As for carrying what I needed I did carry all one normally expects to carry (that included something to eat and gels. Just didn't expect to have to carry my picnic pack with me. (That said I own a camelback and only use it for training). So by no means a lack of planning, I am simply saying its not what I would expect from a decent endurance race.

On the note of energy drink being over rated, I strongly think you do some research. They carry carbs and the sodium and potassium are very important minerals that are lost through sweat.

[/quote']

Some facts...

Carbs(glucose/fructose/sucrose/glucose polymers or soluble starches) you can get in various ways. You DO NOT need an energy drink for this...

Further I'd like to refer you to the writings of Dr. Tim Nokes, specifically "The Lore of Running" (Fourth edition) Pages 213 to 217 relate to electrolytes.

His conclusion at the end of this section, which refers to numerous studies by various other researchers is this:

"Thus, on the basis lf these studies, I see no reason why the sodium content of drinks should not be increased to higher values of about 60mmol per liter, provided they continue to be palatable. As runners are not at risk of developing deficiencies of either magnesium or potassium during exercise, neither needs to be replaced unitl after exercise."

Oh, and I put it to you that sweat and electrolyte losses during cycling are no different than during running. If you want to contest that, please bring recognised proof by suitably qualified medical researchers.

So, you only need the following electrolytes during a race:

1. sodium

2. potassium

These you can ingest in tablet form as well.

Further, I'd like to point you towards the following article posted by

Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas (Google them to see who/what they are...)

The article is titled "Sports drinks, sweat and electrolytes" at

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/sports-drinks-sweat-and-electrolytes_27.html

They conclude their article with the following

"The take-home part: Sports drinks do not prevent hyponatremia

In fact Jonathan tried to apply this finding to a more "real world" situation in a letter to the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

In that letter he argued that since the mean finishing time of women

marathoners in America is five hours, and if the ingestion of Gatorade

at rates similar to those found in the study is advocated by races,

coaches, scientist, etc., then there would likely be many women (and

probably men, too) presenting with hyponatremia. These data demonstrate

that sports drinks do not prevent this condition as their ingestion in these subjects and at these rates causes a fall in sodium concentration."

Hyponatremia is water poisining (drinking too much of the stuff). This can cause the electrolytes level (concentrations) in your body to fall.

If you want to be nannied and molly coddled why do you not pitch at the next race you want to do without a bicycle and helmet and DEMAND the organisers to supply this to you, just like you DEMAND to  be fed as well.

Otherwise, stop being so gullible to trust in all the marketing hype the sports drink manufacturers sell you, and get decent, independant FACTS?

Oh, and MTB has more in common with moutaineering, orienteering and adventure racing than road cycling, so you'd better support yourself! (No outside assistance allowed, remember?)

On cramping and electrolytes, I want to quote from http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/muscle-cramps-part-ii.html

"One study published in 1990

showed that there was no association between potassium levels and

cramps. In that study cyclists rode for up to five hours. Some of the

subjects did cramp, but their potassium levels were not uniformly high

or low, thus showing no association between that variable and the

cramps. However beyond that study (and one more that was presented at a

conference but apparently not published) there is little real data out

there to support or refute this hypothesis that dehydration or

electrolyte disturbances cause cramps."

Agteros - I think you're missing the point. Why offer a kiddies cold drink? If you want to cut costs then just slap water on the table, don't go offering cheap kiddies cold drink, it has no place in a race. My opinion.

Yes I know well you can get carbs from many sources, that is why I carry gels and something to eat (slow release). I am not saying I died because of the kiddies cold drink - I finished fine. I am simply ticked off with the kiddies cold drink and I do expect more from a high profile race. I am not concerned about the snacks on offer at the water points, I am by no means at the buffet stage of my riding anymore.

As for Sodium, Tim still says you need a certain amount. Great you did all this research on my behalf it still doesn't change why I am posting this. Research aside, theories constantly arise and what was fact a year ago may not be anymore. I go with what works for me and I prefer an energy drink to supplement my gels and snacks, yes I also take under advisement that which the likes of Tim have to say. BTW did I mention anything about cramping? I have yet to cramp in training or a race, just a thought, you're reading more into my post than there is...

By the way UCI rules do allow for outside assistance at Seconding stations, which if you read on the Crater Cruise web site you will see each water point is. So again I ask where did I mention I want outside assistance? I just expect a certain level of quality at the water points.. Stop assuming what I am trying to say and you will see you have no reason to comment on my post.

gtracing - haven't got time for people like you, if you can't handle someones opinion you have serious issues - deal with them, don't make them my problem. Furthermore go ride Hill 2 Hill if you want to see the best water points.

The kiddies cold drink aside one thing I liked and I have not often seen is the boards at each water point stating distance to next water point and distance to finish.

Daxiet2009-10-11 10:17:53

Guest Agteros

Agteros - I think you're missing the point. Why offer a kiddies cold drink? If you want to cut costs then just slap water on the table' date=' don't go offering cheap kiddies cold drink, it has no place in a race. My opinion.

Yes I know well you can get carbs from many sources, that is why I carry gels and something to eat (slow release). I am not saying I died because of the kiddies cold drink - I finished fine. I am simply ticked off with the kiddies cold drink and I do expect more from a high profile race. I am not concerned about the snacks on offer at the water points, I am by no means at the buffet stage of my riding anymore.

As for Sodium, Tim still says you need a certain amount. Great you did all this research on my behalf it still doesn't change why I am posting this. Research aside, theories constantly arise and what was fact a year ago may not be anymore. I go with what works for me and I prefer an energy drink to supplement my gels and snacks, yes I also take under advisement that which the likes of Tim have to say. BTW did I mention anything about cramping? I have yet to cramp in training or a race, just a thought, you're reading more into my post than there is...

By the way UCI rules do allow for outside assistance at Seconding stations, which if you read on the Crater Cruise web site you will see each water point is. So again I ask where did I mention I want outside assistance? I just expect a certain level of quality at the water points.. Stop assuming what I am trying to say and you will see you have no reason to comment on my post.

gtracing - haven't got time for people like you, if you can't handle someones opinion you have serious issues - deal with them, don't make them my problem. Furthermore go ride Hill 2 Hill if you want to see the best water points.

The kiddies cold drink aside one thing I liked and I have not often seen is the boards at each water point stating distance to next water point and distance to finish.

[/quote']

Then complain about the lack of water,  and the substitute for that. Do not bring sports drinks into the argument.

There is a theory/model that cramping is due to lack/depletion of electrolytes. See my comments regarding that as pre-emptive smiley1.gif

I am prone to cramps(especially calves), but I have my own, somewhat unique, physiological limitations, so I try to read as much literature regarding that as possible.

It is a pleasure to share some of this info

Camelback is if you planning to camp out there. Sorry all the decent races cater with some recognised energy drink (Scratch that' date=' even many low end races have recognised energy drink). Had I known they were cost cutting I would have packed in some USN powder. Just never expected it from a "high end" race.

[/quote']

Lol sounds like you really did camp out there, maybe you should take the camelback next time!Wink

I rode the 56km race today, and I thought the water points were great. I mean they even had vetkoek on offer (which i politely said no to in lieu of a piesang!!!).

The water point just before ''sorry'' had the most delcious naartjie flavoured game which made me feel like I was 6 years old. And you know what?? It tastes better than ANYTHING out there. There is alot to be said for the good old fashioned drinks. We all drink these enhanced drinks but at the end of the day comon, its all just sugar is'nt it??

I think Im done spending R200+ on a tub of ''fancy sugar'' and in future I'm just gonna go for game/energade.

You can't keep everyone happy I guessPinch 

How many entries vs how many complaints.

This is a big race and I am sure that the orginisers go out of their way to put the best foot forward to get folk to come back year after year.

Why don't you send a querry to the event orginisers.