ER24 - SweatSAFE

Revolution

Can anyone shed some light about this red wrist band I keep on seeing - called ER24 - SweatSAFE

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it acts as accident insurance. On the outside is the ER24 emergency number 084124 and on the inside is your unique pin. It's like any insurance, you pay a monthly fee (I think I pay R50) and you're covered for emergency medical treatment no matter where you are in SA. There is a cheaper one and a more expensive one. On the R50 per month policy that I have, I also get up to R50000 hospital expenses covered.

If you are in an accident while cycling, ER24's medical staff will relay your pin to their HQ where all your medical and personal details are kept on their data base. You will be taken by ER24 ambulance (or helicopter if necessary) to a private hospital that's compatibile with your medical aid system. You will be checked straight in as all your details will have been furnished to the hospital already. They'll also contact your family.

It basically eliminates any guess work should you be unable to talk. And even if you are able to talk, accident victims are often in too much shock to remember important details. Also a useful back-up in case your medical aid cover isn't adequate. I don't ride without it (training or races). I prefer to wear it on my wrist as those worn around the ankle usually get very grubby and are not as easy to spot against socks. Hopefully I'll never need it, but it does give me some peace of mind. Just checked and the website is www.sweatsafe.co.za

Former Bicycling editor. Now I'm trying to become a famous writer. Just searching for a universially controversial topic for a book. And riding my bicycles, lots (with my SweatSafe band).

Ok... I have requested mine....

I think every cyclist should have one!

ER24 SweatSAFE is for all active sportspeople. In particular, Cyclists, Runners, Paddlers and outdoor enthusiasts need SweatSAFE.http://www.sweatsafe.co.za/Images/ER24ID/SweatBandSmall.gif

ER24 SweatSAFE incorporates the popular ER24 SweatBAND, which was developed in conjunction with sportsbodies to ensure effective identification while ?sweating? and rapid, hasslefree access to private emergency and hospital services

The ER24 SweatBAND is rapidly becoming the identification standard for protecting active sportspeople.

Will if you have one - it must be the "real deal", like I have just mentioned in my last reply... just requested one online - very simple process.

Thanks for the advice, good to finally chat with you.

I have one. It saved me almost 3 thousand bucks when I broke my arm 3 weeks ago. There was no hassle, no questions asked, just sent them a simple claim form with a copy of the in-hospital expences incurred and a week later I was paid out. 

Worth every cent.

it gives you that extra bit of confidence on the road, especially if you've ever had the hassle of your medical aid company telling yu they ain't gonna pay for the care you needed after a collision with a taxi cos that's a third party claim and they're not responsible. ride into a tree/ditch/wall, they'll pay. get hit by yet another drunk/irresponsible/inconsiderate/incompetent/cellphone-yabbering motorist and you pay!!!! smileys/smiley18.gif" align="middle" /> holy roller2007-05-21 22:47:36

It also makes sense IF ALL cyclists have it, and becomes a standard piece of equipement like the helmet. If all cyclists adopt it, it will make the system of Sweatsafe known throughout cycling in SA. Also we will all know each other when it really matters via it's unique PIN. Forget medical aid, medical aid does not work if they don't know who you are! Sweatsafe works...in conjunction with M/aid if you have one...

Thanks for the link, I've been meaning to join for quite a while but forgot about it eventually.

Does anyone know whether diving related accidents would be covered (i.e. decompression sickness)? You usually need a chopper evacuation when that happens.

yip i'm a member and my daughter, don't leave home with out it, great service, and waiting for the extra card.....well i never waited.

Bobbie you on a roll againSmile

I think so...but why not check the link it has to display all the nasty fine print...but I think so! It covers you for all accidents not just cycling! It is brilliant.

As far as I know diving and  DCS including casevac is covered. I wear mine on my ankle when I dive as I find that if it is on the wrist the velcro snags on the pockets of the  BC and it drives me nuts.