van Gaalens charging

Borriz

Just a note. You now need to pay R25 to make use of the van Gaalens single track. The apparently extended the available routes to 60 or 70km. With some technical climbing and tons of new single track. Payment inside at the cheese shop.

We were unaware of this fact till this past weekend.

I'm happy to pay the price. They do a lot to cater for us and that single track is truely awesome. Can imagine what the other routes look like.

Just think we could've have been told of this fact earlier (or been given a discount). Had just enough money to buy a sandwich after a 7hour ride there.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair the R25 fee has been in place for the last two months or so, it has also been mentioned in both Tread and Bicycling trail reviews as well as a large sign up on display in the parking area next to the small bridge/walkway.

Eric has some fine long term ideas in place, one of them possibly being an epic trail along the ridge of the Magalies range.

Other than trail maintenance a percentage will be going to a conservation trust for the vultures in teh area.

isn't there a sign telling you where to get permits? sure there was at my last visit...you only take enough money for a roll and a permit? what about beer? shame on you!!!!!

bduplessis, sweet singeltrack, but there is better :-)

Chalk n Cheese mate! Go asap! You won't be disappointed! First class ride, come back with a huge grin every time!

Must be the best 25 smackers you can spend. Have not cycled there yet. How does it compare to Groenies?

Groenies is nice.... VG is AWESOME!!! as i mentioned a while ago, the single track there is SO sweet, I always leave with cavities!LOL

Just a note. You now need to pay R25 to make use of the van Gaalens single track. The apparently extended the available routes to 60 or 70km. With some technical climbing and tons of new single track. Payment inside at the cheese shop.

We were unaware of this fact till this past weekend.

I'm happy to pay the price. They do a lot to cater for us and that single track is truely awesome. Can imagine what the other routes look like.

Just think we could've have been told of this fact earlier (or been given a discount). Had just enough money to buy a sandwich after a 7hour ride there.

Shouldn't you have investigated the fact before hand, of any cost, before you plan to cycle somewhere??

Then, again, if you know you going to cycle for the hours you try to brag about, shouldn't you always carry additional money with you???

Basic rules to apply, always carry more money with you, if you know you going to cycle for a particular timeframe, as you never know what will happen.

Also a bit unfortunate that the article re. VG's in Bicycling Mag, stated that riding was free, at the same time they decided to charge the R25.00.

SPTLSB1 - Before making cocky comments like that first get context to this situation.

I'm not bragging about the hours I did. I've got more serious hours to brag about if I wanted to. Why I meant the hours was to state the fact that we were going to spend that money in any case at his establishment as we were hungry.

I'm very happy to pay the money, I agree it is some of the best single track in Gauteng. I'll go back despite this.

We were just unhappy about his approach towards us.

The reason for the mail was to inform everyone that charging now applies and that it is a black and white rule. You ride you pay.

Oh! And SPTLSB1! R85 takes you quite far if you stop twice. But it becomes significantly small when you need to pay a further R25.

Also a bit unfortunate that the article re. VG's in Bicycling Mag' date=' stated that riding was free, at the same time they decided to charge the R25.00. [/quote']

The guys from Tread must've been there for that article quite a while ago or they got it wrong, because when that article came out, they'd been charging for a while already. if my memory serves me right, they were charging since  a while before the Nando Magalies Adventure.

L.T.G2009-11-09 09:54:14

Also a bit unfortunate that the article re. VG's in Bicycling Mag' date=' stated that riding was free, at the same time they decided to charge the R25.00. [/quote']The guys from Tread must've been there for that article quite a while ago or they got it wrong, because when that article came out, they'd been charging for a while already. if my memory serves me right, they were charging since? a while before the Nando Magalies Adventure.

Red Devil mentions Bicycling, not Tread. The Tread Mag absolutely does mention the R25.00 fee.

Bicycling also does list the fee I'm sure. Although I could be wrong.

You are right though, the entrance fee has been around for a few months as well as the signage.