Cycling in East London!!!

Yang

I'm already planning my visit to East London over Christmas and New Year, and looking forward to hooking up with riders down there. Getting in on about 22 Dec and staying over until about 3 Jan. Can't wait. Should I take my MTB or my roadbike? Both? Lets hear from you EL people!

I am also going down to EL so would like to hear the replies to this post too.

When will you be there?

hey guys!

i stay in EL - what distance rides are you looking at?

PM me and we can make some plans. will be cool to meet some hubbers! Smile

There is a Saturday ride usually from Erik's (if you don't know East London, get the address for Cycle HQ and get directions to there).  The ride is often out past the airport and past Kidd's Beach.  Pleasant ride, but the drivers are among the worst in the world and the ride can be a bit hair raising at time.

Plenty MTB routes around the Eastern Cape but not mcuh that I am familiar with in EL.  There is a testing little route between Beacon Bay and Gonubie, which can be ridden as laps.  I think distance is about 8km for a loop.  Maps and GPS are online somewhere.  Try here:

That sounds awesome. I grew up in EL and go back every Xmas. MTB is the only thing I am interested in while there.

That sounds awesome. I grew up in EL and go back every Xmas. MTB is the only thing I am interested in while there.

I'm keeping my options open by taking both my MTB and road bike down.

hey guys!

i stay in EL - what distance rides are you looking at?

PM me and we can make some plans. will be cool to meet some hubbers! Smile

Hey Pencil, will be in touch with you and David closer to the time when I have definite arrangements, mainly when it is that I will arrive.

Thug, my days of triathlon, ie running and swimming parts, are overCry, at least while I'm living here in Moz.

PM you guys maybe tomorrow at a more reasonable hour- g'night all.Sleepy

• 5 weeks later...

Im in for exactly the same dates (24-3rd) , staying a bit out of the centre of East london at cove rock and keen to ride proabably every second day , maybe even drive a bit to some good rides.

I also wanted to know what bike to take but seems i'm settling on MTB.

keen to do at least 1h30 per ride if not up to 3hrs.

can someone summarise what the answer to the orignal question has been so we dont need to go round and round.

thanks

We are heading down to Cintsa Bay on the 23rd and until the 11th of Jan. Have never been that way before. Realise it is not EL but not far either. Can any of you tell me what to expect and where to go... Would like to avoid getting into the car at all during the holidays, hence am curious if their are good trails / routes around.

Planning to take MTB for the whole family and going to do some slower/softer/shorter rides together with the kids as well as treating myself to early morning rides alone for a good work out.

Guys, this is turning out to be one hell of a potential rocking holiday with plenty of people turning up with bikes, never mind the local club riders. One of my cycling Moz mates will be down in EL as well during this time along with family who are into riding.

I'm looking forward to some riding along the Wild Coast near Hole in the Wall from the 28th into the New Year.

Looks like its getting better and better- more riding than I expected.

Now.... how am I going to break the news to Wifey??  

Kletterer, I don't know the area too well. Looks like we as visitors will be feeling our way around, with a little bit of help from the cycling addicts there.