Magalies Monster

Haga

Wow! What a tough race. Rode the 75km.

Struggled at the end but altogether most enjoyable.

For the experienced rider this race has it all.

If you're up to a major challenge next year make your way

to the monster.

Interesting stat in the results: Over 150 DNF's

I rode the 45k and hated it. The course was great but there were far too many unfit/uncompetent people walking their bikes.

I would love to go back and ride it again with a small group of mates.

What should have taken me 3.5 hours took me almost 5 because I had to join the long queues of hikers with bikes walking down the hills.

If you can't ride a bike, don't ride your bike.

This is not for the weak willed. Next year please - if you are not a strong rider stay away so that those of us who want to RIDE can be left alone to do so.

Rode it last year and also got caught out at the fence (only once!). DR - sorry to hear you had to be stitched!

Didn't go this year (chicken?) cause we had 'DIY' issues to resolve at home, apparently when the dishwasher is leaking, the bathroom light has been blown for a week, one curtain rail is 'half' falling down and the second bathroom tap is 'dripping' it's time to do something about. Call a plumber was apparently the wrong response to the complaint! 

BTW Wilmy - managed to GPS plot that cell tower route on Google then downloaded to the GPS, all went well till about 1-2 k's from the tower, fences and gates everywhere so no riding up towards it. Lekker ride anyway, much more 'entertaining' than the blockhouse! Thanks

Wilmy that's not gonna happen !!! It is unfortunately a fact that a lot of the riders has not got the skills to ride half the stuff but they still wanna try it . And I think it is great . You should really try and get to the front in the beginning of the race . The fast blokes will pass you but you will not have all the walkers to deal with . And another skill that you will find that comes with time is the ability to pass these slow people on down/up hills without loosing time or breaking your speed .

K@k race ? out and out, will never do the monster again?.bought myself a nice piece of land up in the mountain and the MTB is officially in retirement <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Wilmy ? definitely an unfair statement you making, think the race had mainly single tracks and there should have been starting groups just to brake it up a bit

That's a real shame. We also took another ride out there the week before last and hit lots of dead ends.

It looks as though you need to get in from Walkerville.

Did you get to the gate of the track which goes up or were the gates/fences etc. at the top of the rocky climb above where they are developing the Eye of Africa?

don't think starting groups would have helped ... when we started to catch the 35 kays, we were in queues again ... which i didn't mind, 'cause it was a good excuse to rest Wink

Just once, there was someone who screamed at me to give way on a downhill, which i did promptly ... just so that he could come past and then block the way  all the way to the bottom, with a long queue forming behind him ... Cry

the ride was awesome! i usually hate climbs because i can't, but these climbs had plenty of distractions ... the climb up the monster with pink quarts scattered between surreal rockformations, awesome singletracks,  downhills, uphills, singletrack in orchards, over narrow cement bridges ... can't think of a better way to spend a saturday Big%20smile

LOL Dont feel bad it caught me too, no stitches but a whole lot of bruises. The thing that got me the most was the marshall who pointed me and the leader in the wrong direction Dead That sucked, 2,5km later we decided to turn around, eventually he ended 3nd and me 3rd. But a bad day on the old Silverback is better than a good day at the officeTongue stevew2007-05-31 12:12:46

Thanx for the link to the results page, man I was looking for it all over, you're da bestWink