FSA BB

Jaco-fiets

I have a FSA SLK crankset and the BB is cooked now. Do i have to get a FSA BB or are there other BB's compatible with FSA cranks?

Do you have a two-piece crankset or one with a separate axle, BB and two loose cranks. If it is the latter, any ISIS compatible BB will fit, it if is the former, any Hollowtech compatible BB will fit.

You have millions of options.

• 1 month later...

Hi Johan

I have the same problem, if the splines are the same width then it should work, what about the width?

Hi Johan

I have the same problem' date=' if the splines are the same width then it should work, what about the width?[/quote']

On three piece crank systems i.e. those where both cranks come off the axle, there are two main spline configurations in use.

1) Shimano Octalink.  Octa in this case refers to the 8 splines on the BB. This is proprietary to Shimano, so if your crank is not Shimano, discard this option.  If it is Shimano, then you have to choose between the 5mm and 9mm spline - the latter being the update and mostly used on MTBs. Octalink Splines are not press fit and can be pushed in by hand.

2) ISIS. Stands for International Spline Interface Standard. I keep on meaning to count the splines but I forget. There may well be eight too.

However, the major difference here is that it is a 1 degree press fit and you will not be able to push the crank on by hand beyond the first few mms. Also, the splines are 16mm long, double that of the best of the two poor systems by Shimano.

ISIS was widely adopted by many companies, including FSA, Bullseye, Truvativ, Race Face and Younameit.

You asked about the width and the width. It should probably read diameter and depth. Yes, if it looks the same it is the same, you cannot confuse them and you cannot fit the wrong one.

Hi Johan

Thx for the feedback. I failed to explain my problem clearly.

My crank has the external bearings (MegaExo) the FSA part is BB8000.

Would the Shimano Hollowtech II bearing work?