Mtb chain replacement

WRIGHTLIGHT

Hi there

Quick question...how often would one need to replace their chain on MTB.

I just replaced my LX derailleur with an XT, and the guy at my LBS said my chain was stretched to the max and needed replacing, he showed me with the Park Tool chain gauge. My bike has only done around 660km of which 500 has been hard riding.

Have replaced with an XT chain.

rotate your chains, will slow down the wear and tear on your cluster and drivetrain.  Use the chain measuring tool religiously!! I learnt the expensive way.

rotate your chains' date=' will slow down the wear and tear on your cluster and drivetrain.  [/quote']

Really? Why and how?

You wuzz robbed...... and tell the friendly oke at your LBS so when you see him next time. I wunder where he used that chain he robbed from you!!!!!!!!!!

Inches and fractions !!! ?sies man I thought we got rid of those in 1972, probably one of, if not the only, progressive thing that happened during the 2nd Boer Republic lol

Here's the conversion ?(1" = 25.4mm)?

12" =? 304.8 mm

12 ?1/16" ? = 306.4 mm

12 1/8"? = 308 mm

(all rounced off to .1 mm)

kosmonooit2009-12-06 02:16:44

Inches and fractions !!!  sies man I thought we got rid of those in 1972' date=' probably one of, if not the only, progressive thing that happened during the 2nd Boer Republic lol

Here's the conversion  (1" = 25.4mm) 

12" =  304.8 mm

12  1/16"   = 306.4 mm

12 1/8"  = 308 mm

(all rounced off to .1 mm)

[/quote']

Ja, but try and find a ruler with 0.1mm markings on it. Chain links have a 1/2inch pitch, hence wear measurements in Stone Age units.

Edman2009-12-06 08:02:33

How is one going to measure accurately then? one solution is really a vernier which can resolve ?.1mm but ?most on the shelf are only 200mm in size?

Kosmonoot you can halve the measurements if you use a vernier, and it will still give you an accurate indication.

Hi there

Quick question...how often would one need to replace their chain on MTB.

I just replaced my LX derailleur with an XT' date=' and the guy at my LBS said my chain was stretched to the max and needed replacing, he showed me with the Park Tool chain gauge. My bike has only done around 660km of which 500 has been hard riding.

Have replaced with an XT chain.
[/quote']

Not getting into the debate on how to measure your chain (many posts about it) but there are too many factors involved that affect chain wear. Distance is a rough guide but do take the hour or so to read up on all the links that have/will be posted on this thread.

But anyway, my current chain suffered much wear after only 300km due to bad maintenance on my side. Went for a single ride where I got dirt and muck in it and neglected to wash and lube. It is a cheap chain (GIANT branded R100) but it was still no excuse to abuse it.

The other option is to always have a new spare chain.

Line the chain up against the old one. You may be suprised at how long the stretch can be on the full length of the chain, if you have not replaced your chain in a while.

Agree mudda. I did that on my last replacement and was shocked to see "chain stretch". Actually want to put a hook in the wall with some markers to give me a rough indication on wear - kinda a ride/no-ride guide.

The more people I speak to with XT tell me what a bad life span they are getting with the cassette, chain and chain rings.

Hmm, just bought the Sram 970 cassette, hopefully will last me a little longer than the Shimano.

Will in future buy Sram chains and cassettes for better life span and quality. Will keep the rest of the XT set up and SLX cranks.....for the meantime.

The more people I speak to with XT tell me what a bad life span they are getting with the cassette' date=' chain and chain rings.

Hmm, just bought the Sram 970 cassette, hopefully will last me a little longer than the Shimano.

Will in future buy Sram chains and cassettes for better life span and quality. Will keep the rest of the XT set up and SLX cranks.....for the meantime.
[/quote']

I've run all different sorts of brands and levels of chains over the years, and guess what I always come back to?

LX.

It's cheap, lasts slightly longer than XT and is plain simply reliable.

I degrease/relube about every 4 rides and get about 2200km out of a chain. Then again, I'm a wussy and don't race when it's muddy Wink