Very annoying clicking noise

Oliver4444

Hi

After being a keen mountain biker I have made my move into road cycling by buying myself a Merida 903-18. It's not a week old yet (was a new buy) and I am getting an annoying clicking noise from the crank area. It only happens when I stand up or pedal really hard.

I took into the local bicycle shop yesterday, where they checked everything, and they said they had to tighten the BB ... after that it was quiet. But when I took it out this morning for a recovery ride it started again ...

Could it be the BB again?

Any advice would be really appreciated - a noisy new bike is very disappointing! Cry

Oliver44442009-12-11 11:09:37

A friend has the same problem on his Specialized. It drives him around the bend. smiley36.gif Check your cassette. Maybe they fitted the wrong spacer, to thin. If this is the case, the cogs starts to eat into the freewheel body. Also check that the cassette is properly tightened.Schwynn2009-12-11 11:23:49

Haha and it's doing the same to me LOL

I doubt that it's the cassette because the sound comes from the front - where the BB is and it only happens when I pedal hard ... thing is I don't get how after about 10km of riding (after it was quiet yesterday) it starts again ...

I had a similar issue, which I may/may not have fixed today. I took off the entire drive train, cleaned everything properly, attempted to force some grease into the BB bearings and then reassembled. Did a ride and everything is fine, so it could have been a number of things.

At least I know it's not the pedal bearings, since I didn't open them up at all.

I've got much the same problem; click noise at least:

I have just bought a "new" second hand bike...Okay, new to me but it's third hand in fact - it's a FS. The problem is that on each pedal stroke, both sides, when the pedal reaches horizontal front position and force is being applied to climb a steep hill there is a "click". This happens while seated.

I can make the sound also by sitting on the bike and, with sudden movements swinging the handle bars side to side. The noise has also started happening today when riding slowly and turning using the bars and not leaning into corners. IE, it's getting worse.

I had the LBS build the bike from the boxes it came in since it needed a new freewheel from the start.

The noise seems to be coming from the downtube....but hard to tell when you are on the bike..it's not the BB area though, I'm pretty sure of that. Could this indicate a crack in the framce? I got the bike back yesterday from the LBS after they needed to order the freewheel. I got the bike on Sunday from the sedller so I would like to get back to the seller ASAP!

ya there are a few things it could be.. i think most likely the spacers in your bb are wrong.. also you may need something greased down there because its new its possible they forgot to

I've checked the headset - no play at either the top or the bottom. It's just strange that it happens when both the pedals are at the horizontalfront position respectively....and only when a decent amount of force is being applied. Each time, it's a single, very distinctive "click". I've searched for hairline cracks which may indicate fracture in the frame.

I also had the headset re-greased when they put it together for me.... spesh, it's a second hand bike so you could be right there (gone dry over time) but I'm worried that it is something more....!!

Are the skewers tightened property?

If it the noise occurs when seated, it could be the seat post. Pedals if you standing- grease the pedal threads on the crank arms. Chain- can be stretched. Check the crank blade for tooth damage- rough edges. That'll all will take you whole weekendWink So chat to you again on MondayLOL

LOL

Skewers tight - check!

Seat post - check!

Pedals - check!

Chain shows 0.5 wear so tolerable - check!

Crank rings sweet - check!

Headset tight etc - check!

BB greased - check!

Anything else that it could be other than hairline crack somewhere on frame?

My problem was quite a lot more complicated than what I thought ...

When I got the bike one of the nuts that hold the vertical bottle holder had been double threaded, so when I tried to unscrew it it became stripped, leaving small metal shavings on the inside of the frame to fall down towards the BB ...

So I took it to my LBS and they cleaned it out, I tested it now and all seems good Smile