Shimano vs Sram - Road

peleton

ah Willehond you are now gheading toward the correct terminology.

Shifting to a heavier gear is called upshifting because you are shifting up a gear.

Shifting to a lighter gear (Bigger sprocket) is called downshifting.

Yes Campagnolo Record, Chorus and Athena and I think Centaur, can bang off multiple upshifts but of what good is that really?

If you're sprinting you don;t want to be shifting from 53 X17 to 53X14 directly because it places you at a drive disadvantage. Its like changing from 2nd gear in your car to 5th, you will bog down handing the advantage to the opposition.

Upshifting one gear at a time is the more efficient way to win a sprint.

I think even Campagnolo acknowledges this since having multiple upshifts available has not anyone beat Mark Cavendish in 2009...

So yeah, the multiple upshift is nice to have, but its won't help you win a race.

As you see I prefer the terms (L)ight and (H)eavy to (L)ow and (H)igh to make it easy on myself.

I won't even start on trying to remember my (L)eft from my ®ight...

Smile Moenie worrie nie,

Few people are able to maintain the consistency of upshift and downshift in a conversation. In the end I just ask them to show me.

the convention is easy to remember though.

Heavy = UP

Light = Down

Its a bit like being an Australian. Up is down and down is up.

ah Willehond you are now gheading toward the correct terminology.

Shifting to a heavier gear is called upshifting because you are shifting up a gear.

Shifting to a lighter gear (Bigger sprocket) is called downshifting.

Yes Campagnolo Record' date=' Chorus and Athena and I think Centaur, can bang off multiple upshifts but of what good is that really?

If you're sprinting you don;t want to be shifting from 53 X17 to 53X14 directly because it places you at a drive disadvantage. Its like changing from 2nd gear in your car to 5th, you will bog down handing the advantage to the opposition.

Upshifting one gear at a time is the more efficient way to win a sprint.

I think even Campagnolo acknowledges this since having multiple upshifts available has not anyone beat Mark Cavendish in 2009...

So yeah, the multiple upshift is nice to have, but its won't help you win a race.
[/quote']

Come on GoLeft, you know what you feel like when you JUST get over the top of the Galibier and you are trying to catch you breath, you are just sucking wheel to recover and you freewheel all the way down just to hit another bump in the road and you start pedalling and you realised you never switched down and you are wildly spinning like a spooked monkey. 

THAT's when you wish you could just go crrrrrick and shift down three gears.  So no, it won't help you win a race, but it's nice to have in moments of oxygen starved brain freeze.
Willehond2009-12-17 08:41:05

LOLClap

I concede that this scenario is indeed valid if only on that one special day when I'm oxygen starved on the Galibier.

Hey Peleton

I just upgraded to Sram Red from Campy Chorus and I just love it. If for anything, the ergonomics of the shifters cant be beaten. And thats what you spend most of your time doing on the bike.