Which bike do you recommend

Gavinhu

My first MTB was a Reno and I gave it away 2 months later....weighed the same as a (full) cement truck. I would also agree with those that suggest you borrow some other bikes from mates to get a better perception of what is available and rather spend invest more on a bike that you would be happier riding.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am a novice when it comes to buying a MTB.
I am training for the Comrades and I need a bike for cross training.
I am interested in the Giant Roc and the Silverback Reno.
The price range is between R3K - R4).
I would appreciate some expert assistance with choosing my first MTB.

Not sure where you are based but there is a "ride before you buy" in tokia 24 jan 2010, should be the best place to start as you can ride all bikes and then decide what you want
MadScientist2009-12-24 01:13:40

My first MTB was a Reno and I gave it away 2 months later....weighed the same as a (full) cement truck. I would also agree with those that suggest you borrow some other bikes from mates to get a better perception of what is available and rather spend invest more on a bike that you would be happier riding.

And therein lies the dilemma...

The main question is always: What is the main purpose of the bike?

If we take the original post:

Hi

it doesn't sound like Gavin needs anything for serious MTBing. In that case the Reno is probably the best buy you can get.

My thoughts:

I would like to ride mainly off-road, but am a beginner, so do I get something like a Silverback Phoenix (jughead_dave suggested looking at minimum Deore components) or a Reno (Silverbackman reckons the Reno is quite capable on even more difficult terrain).

Aesthetically speaking, I love the Phoenix. It also has the Deore set. It is, however, important to note that there is a R3000 difference in price between the Phoenix & the Reno(a big difference if all you want to do is get fit & maybe do a trail or 2).

I'll be looking to riding my bike daily, mainly commuting to and from work(save petrol, keep fit), but then also going trail riding over weekends.

My head says: "the Reno is well priced, and will do the job". My heart says: "the Phoenix is so pretty...you want it...you need it...my precious!".

Sometimes you just have to follow your heart. Wink

Hi

it doesn't sound like Gavin needs anything for serious MTBing. In that case the Reno is probably the best buy you can get.

My thoughts:

I would like to ride mainly off-road' date=' but am a beginner, so do I get something like a Silverback Phoenix (jughead_dave suggested looking at minimum Deore components) or a Reno (Silverbackman reckons the Reno is quite capable on even more difficult terrain).

Aesthetically speaking, I love the Phoenix. It also has the Deore set. It is, however, important to note that there is a R3000 difference in price between the Phoenix & the Reno(a big difference if all you want to do is get fit & maybe do a trail or 2).

I'll be looking to riding my bike daily, mainly commuting to and from work(save petrol, keep fit), but then also going trail riding over weekends.

My head says: "the Reno is well priced, and will do the job". My heart says: "the Phoenix is so pretty...you want it...you need it...my precious!".

[/quote'] Point taken but I must add that many of us can probably testify to the fact that we made buys that were intended for the weight loss purpose....well in my case and Dirty Twin it was. Since then we ahve done the Trans Baviaans twice and many others which I would never have done on a Reno.

Hi

My thoughts:

I would like to ride mainly off-road' date=' but am a beginner, so do I get something like a Silverback Phoenix (jughead_dave suggested looking at minimum Deore components) or a Reno (Silverbackman reckons the Reno is quite capable on even more difficult terrain).

[/quote'] Point taken but I must add that many of us can probably testify to the fact that we made buys that were intended for the weight loss purpose....well in my case and Dirty Twin it was. Since then we ahve done the Trans Baviaans twice and many others which I would never have done on a Reno.

And also you have to take into account the difference in spec between the 2 bikes you are considering... They can add up to a lot in terms of "rideability" as well as value when considering both the upgrade from a part - to - part basis as well as the upgrade on the frame that comes along with it.

With the Phoenix v Reno argument, the Phoenix is an endlessly more rideable bike, and cannot be reasonably compared to the Reno for the simple fact that it blows it out of the water.

Consider:

Suntour XCT v Suntour XLR - BIG difference in response & durability. Take it  from me, I've ridden both and can honestly say that the XLR is a FAR better fork

Shimano Acera (and worse) v Shimano Deore - Again - a huge difference in reliability and work ethic. Deore is just plain stronger. Considered as the "workhorse" of the MTB groupsets. It relegates Acera to the dust (not to mention it's 2 level above - It goes Acera, Alivio, Deore)

8 speed v 9 speed. Need i say more.

Finally - V brake v Hydraulic Disc. No more argument.

The upgrade from V brake to Discs alone will cost more than 3k (replace fork, wheels, brakes etc) and is MORE than worth the extra dosh.

Take our advice - go for the Phoenix. Not only does it look better, but it will facilitate your x-training that much better. It will outlast the Reno by years, and you will not feeel the neeeeeed to upgrade as heavily as if you buy the Reno as a starter.

Finally - it's just a better bike. Far better than the extra 3k suggests.

If you bite the bullet now with some 2009 stock floating around (and a few lies about the real price to your beloved wife) I would go for the Silverback sierra. This is a bike you can ride for YEARS to come. Also look at Gt Zaskar expert.

Don't waste good money on a cheap bike. I can guarantee you you will "upgrade' in six months time.

Nothing wrong with the Nebraska either. Very likable specs.
Goodbadugly2009-12-25 13:56:47

Thanks for all your opinions & advice. I've assimilated quite a bit of knowledge regarding bikes & cycling over the past weeks. Although I'll be spending substantially more than I had planned to spend on a bike, I think I will receive more from my bike than if I had spent less(if that makes any sense!).

The main factor was the advice on the Deore components. I will trust the experience of my fellow Hubbers and take the plunge. Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the Gauteng tracks in the coming year. I will have much to learn!

Ok everybody finished now ?

Unless you got plans to at some stage race for to 10 in provincials/nationals then weight is not an issue !

Groupsets are another item that is over-rated . A Deore equiped bike will last you for years where as a XTR/X0 bike will need new blades etc after the first few thousand km . 7 , 8 or 9 speed !! Thug will tell you the less gears you have the better ! But there I would try and at least get 9 speed .

When is a shock good ? All depends on your weight .

But let me give you an example of what can be done :

I bought a Gaint Yukon for R1000.00 . Sold the gripshifts , front/rear derailure and rims for R1000 . Bought trigger shifters , disk rims , Hydro brakes , LX groupset for R2500.00 . I also replaced the shock with a "decent" shock but this I had in stock . All this dealings was done through the Hub and I now have a very well spec bike for under R3k . So to upgrade your bike can be very cheap if you not in a hurry .

I thought I was finished... :-) but...

I'm not in a hurry to buy...just itching. I know little of bike components, but every time I hear of something new I try to get all the info I can on the topic. It all boils down to experience. Those of you that are experienced riders have more knowledge than I when it comes to frames, forks, shifters, groupsets, brakes, etc.

dirt-rider...I would not mind buying second hand components at all, especially if I can get a ridable bike

at a good price. This, however, entails having a good knowledge about components...from the frame, to the brakes...knowing what the components would normally cost...basically being able to identify a bargain. Also, being able to spot whether the components are actually still in good shape or not, to not get screwed over.

For me, the choices are therefore limited at this stage(although I won't write off building my own from scratch):

1. Silverback Reno - Good overall bike. Good pricing. Components maybe not too well suited to the abuse I may dish out.

2. Silverback Alpine - Well priced with mech. disc brakes.

3. Silverback Phoenix - Cheapest bike I've found with all Deore groupsets & hydraulic discs.

dirt-rider...what would be your recommendation?

1. Silverback Reno - Good overall bike. Good pricing. Components maybe not too well suited to the abuse I may dish out.
2. Silverback Alpine - Well priced with mech. disc brakes.
3. Silverback Phoenix - Cheapest bike I've found with all Deore groupsets & hydraulic discs.

dirt-rider...what would be your recommendation?

if you can afford it, the phoenix. nice bike. silverback gives good bang for your buck.

Have been riding a Silverback Reno for just over 2 years and believe that it is very underated. Have competed in most KZN MTB races up to 40km all in A batch with fairly good results. My original intention was to ride with the kids and not to race however I was new to cycling at the time.

The only problem I have had during one of the races was breaking a chain.

Have been riding a Silverback Reno for just over 2 years and believe that it is very underated. Have competed in most KZN MTB races up to 40km all in A batch with fairly good results. My original intention was to ride with the kids and not to race however I was new to cycling at the time.

The only problem I have had during one of the races was breaking a chain.

Thanks for this...opinions are what I need...both sides of the coin.