Which bike do you recommend

Gavinhu

Hi

I am a novice when it comes to buying a MTB.

I am training for the Comrades and I need a bike for cross training.

I am interested in the Giant Roc and the Silverback Reno.

The price range is between R3K - R4).

I would appreciate some expert assistance with choosing my first MTB.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First you have to cycle a bit with someone else's bike, no really.  If you buy the Reno, which is a very nice bike.  But after spending your hard earned cash, I promise you you will want to upgrade within the first 6 months.  Find out how much you like MTB riding first, and then decide what you want to buy.  I know a lot of people who bought bikes, and then they upgraded the parts and the frames etc.  If I go by what I know, just get something proper that you will be happy with for a long time = money well spent Clap

The Giant Rock cost a bit more than the Silverback Reno.

I am definetly looking at something that will last.

But how does the two bikes comape or how will you rate them out of 10?

GIANT SPECS:

Frame:

ALUXX aluminium

Forks:

Suntour M-2000 63mm travel

Rear Derailleur:

Shimano EZ Fire

Front Derailleur:

Shimano TX 31

Shifters:

Shimano EZ Fire 50 21 speed

Chainset:

Suntour 28/38/48

Bottom Bracket:

Cartridge

Chain:

KMC Z51

Freewheel/Cass:

Shimano TZ07 14-28 freewheel

Stem:

Steel quill type

Handlebars:

Steel riser

Front Brake:

ProMax Linear pull

Rear Brake:

ProMax Linear pull

Brake Levers:

Shimano

Rims:

Aluminium 26"

Front Hub:

Joy Tech

Rear Hub:

Joy Tech

Spokes:

Steel

Tyres:

Kenda 26x1.95''

Saddle:

GIANT

Seatpost:

Steel

Pedals:

Steel with resin body

RENO SPECS:

Specifications
Frameset
Sizes S, M, L, XL
Frame Ovaltech Aluminium
Fork Suntour XCT-V2 w/Lockout
Wheels
Wheels Alloy hubs, Alex Rims
Tires CST 26"x1.95
Drive chain
Shifters Shimano Acera 8 Speed
Front Derailleur Shimano C-051
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
Crank set Shimano M191, 28/38/48T
Bottom Bracket VP Sealed
Cassette Shimano 11-32T, 8 Speed
Chain KMC
Pedals VP - PVC w/Steel Cage

Components
Saddle Silverback Concepts
Seat post Silverback Concepts, Alloy
Handlebar Silverback Concepts, Alloy Riser
Stem Silverback Concept, Alloy A-Headset
Headset VP Components
Brake set Tektro V-brakes
Weight 14.5 kg

This is just my opinion.  The silverback has better groupset (gears 24 speed vs. Giant 21 speed, etc) the fork is better on the Silverback.  Seems like you set you sights on one of these two bikes already.  What about the HKS Alite series, or the Wheeler bikes from Solomons, check these links:

Wheeler -http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1033

Bianchi - http://www.solomons.co.za/node/1028 - Very decent bike this!!!

Fuji - http://www.solomons.co.za/node/939 - Also in your price range.

Lets see what you decide, but all these bikes ar ein the same price range, and therefor have more or less the same speced items etc bolted on the frames, hey, then again, I might be wrongGeek

hi guys...

to those in the know...I'm looking to buy the Silverback Alpine...I would like to do off-road, maybe even some racing later. I'm not loaded with cash, so I'm looking for the most affordable bike that can do this from the outset. Silverback list the Alpine as being more suited to gentler rides. Any advice?

I would try spend a little more. I agree with silverbackman, and after a few months you will want an upgrade.

try find a bike with minimum Deore components.

Yup would have to agree DesertConvert, but on the other side, if you are not going to be riding that much, the Alpine wil do just fine.  It all depends on what you are going to do with the bike after the comrades.  If you are planning to sell, you will only get half of what you paid...

I'm currently riding my brother-in-laws Reno (trying to get fit for the Argus next year - I'm still wet behind the ears :-) ), but once that's done & dusted I would like to get into MTB more seriously. Both leisure riding & once the skills have improved do some races for fun.

The Reno is quite alright for road...proportions are quite comfy for me, though I actually need a large bike(this is a medium). If you're just riding on the road I can recommend the Reno(but I can't say how it compares to other brands - price wise probably the best on offer)

My friend also has the Reno, and quite successfully negotiated some serious mountain biking in Groenkloof, and trust me, it works.  So if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, because I know Silverback and trust it, you are pretty well off with the Reno.  Just get better peddles and cleats and shoes, and you will be enjoying your ride..... Good luck with the buy....

My friend also has the Reno' date=' and quite successfully negotiated some serious mountain biking in Groenkloof, and trust me, it works.  So if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, because I know Silverback and trust it, you are pretty well off with the Reno.  Just get better peddles and cleats and shoes, and you will be enjoying your ride..... Good luck with the buy....

[/quote']

Aw man...and I've just managed to convince my wife that I need the Phoenix 'cause the others just aren't good enough for that which I propose to do. Now you say the Reno is fine. Hope she doesn't read this, 'cause the Phoenix is so much prettier than the Reno!