Where can I find a bike rack for a VERY heavy bike

patrickza

Ok hopefully this is the right section for this question, but where do I find a towbar mounted rack to hold a very 35kg bike. It must be a ride on type as my triangle is covered by a plastic box.

I've been to the thule shop in woodmead, but they don't have anything that works.

Thanks

patrickza2009-12-30 11:49:17

Ok hopefully this is the right section for this question' date=' but where do I find a towbar mounted rack to hold a very 35kg bike. It must be a ride on type as my triangle is covered by a plastic box.

I've been to the thule shop in woodmead, but they don't have anything that works.

Thanks

[/quote']

Huh?

I'm interested in this, show a pic!

This is it here:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112/pgpatrick/DSC05341.jpg

As you can see the only bar I have available to clamp onto is the seatpost rack. So basically I need the bike to stand on it's wheels, and the some type of post to strap/clamp it to. Maybe someone knows of a place that'll custom weld one for me?

patrickza2009-12-30 12:31:45

What is that Patricksa? Looks interesting! I have seen something similar  before(it had a electric/battery back up for going up hills).

I doubt you'll find a bike rack that will work.

What car do you drive? If it's big enough, here's what you do:

1. Take off those bar-ends.

2. Drop the seat.

3. Turn the handlebars 90 degrees.

4. Open the back door of the car.

5. Reverse the bike onto the back seat. The front wheel goes on the floor behind the driver's seat. You may need to drive the bike up the door a little bit.

Takes less time than a bike rack.

Many years ago Holdfast used to make a "Bar" with a adjustable clamp on each end. One end clamped on the seatpost and the other on the stem. You then put the bar into a normal bike carrier that holds the bike on the top tube. The bike hung a little lower than normal but worked.

The idea was that you would use it for FS bikes that didnt fit the carrier due to funny tube shapes or the rear shock position.

Not sure if it is still available though.

Many years ago Holdfast used to make a "Bar" with a adjustable clamp on each end. One end clamped on the seatpost and the other on the stem. You then put the bar into a normal bike carrier that holds the bike on the top tube. The bike hung a little lower than normal but worked.

The idea was that you would use it for FS bikes that didnt fit the carrier due to funny tube shapes or the rear shock position.

It was called a "Ladies Bracket"

I think you can still get them.

It was called a "Ladies Bracket"

I think you can still get them.

Thanks Fleming and jagwil that sounds like it might do the trick, I'll see if I can get hold of someone at holdfast. Hopefully it can handle the weight needed.

The bar should clear the box on your top tube, but there won't be space to fit the clip-on in. Unless you move that box a little?

Hey! I saw something today that made me think of this thread.

There was a Jeep behind me at the traffic light with a KTM on the back. If it's strong enough for a motor bike, it'll be strong enough for yours.

I didn't see the rack nicely though, but maybe this will help your search.

Very surprised that Thule cant help you. What car are you driving? I have seen towbar mounted racks that require you to take your front wheel off and tighten the quick release with a skewer.

Takes less time than a bike rack.

Bollocks!!!   smiley7.gif

There is a rack though that's used for motorbikes, wheels clamp into a channel. Similar to the Thule.