Hard tail frame size

rocket84

Hi, guys just some advice please, I have been a roadie, now looking at buying a hardtail to start some mountain bike racing on, Im 1,81m and ride a 55 road frame.

Wat size should i be looking at to race with on a hardtail?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
rocket842010-01-03 05:49:19

Probably a medium (17"-18") will be fine. I'm 1.86m and find a medium just on the verge of being too small, but I prefer it to a large frame.

It also depends on the frame design itself. Best thing is to find a few friends with the different sizes and see for yourself. Testing them off-road will give you a much better idea of whats right than simply riding around the block a few times.

You will find that there is a few manufacturers with sizing that differs from others.

Make sure what size you need or want to ride.

Some have a long toptube and others a short toptube but both will be Medium size frames.

I am 1.81 exactly also, but I prefer a large. As the other guys said each design is different. On average a lot of manufacturers go on 1.80 up equals large but not many adhere to this principal. thats why you see some guys with their seatposts as long as their arm to fit a smaller bike. Let us know what size you get and what bike,cheers smiley1.gif