Dent in frame

niklasvm

Hi, i recently found a dent in my bottom tube after i flew with my bike down from joburg. Its just above the bottle cage on the top of the tube. Its an aluminium frame. Is this something I should be very worried about?

Maybe just take it to a bike shop and have them look? Personally I would be hesitant since it's aluminium, my understanding is that it can 'crumple' when the dings are big enough or in the right place. Hope it's not too bad!

Well i flew a bike rack down as well and the whole box was squashed inwards (so much for looking after stuff marked fragile) so i have a pretty good idea how my bike was treated.

Please tell me you complained like hell when you received it! Maybe you could claim any repairs from the airline?EigerSA2010-01-10 04:46:34

I did and they said that they don't accept any liability for baggage but gave me an email address. Also the carousel was littered with plastic that had broken off people's luggage. Oh well, hope i can make a claim. Otherwise i've got insurance.

I've cycled about 65km on the bike since and only noticed the dent now.

When i arrived in joburg i looked through the flaps waiting for my bike box and was horrified to see how the baggage handlers throw most of the luggage making no effort to take care of people's possessions.

Have it checked out by somebody who has adequite knowledge about frames. Nobody likes that sh!t taste in the mouth when a frame fails!!!!!!!!

I'll have it looked at tomorrow, so much for having just started my hectic Argus training regime. I raced on it today and put quite a lot of force on but obviously consequences of damage like this onyl present themselves after some time. Thanks for the help

Post a photo and we'll have a look.

I assume the dent is in the downtube in a position that's not under severe compression and that the threat of buckling is zero. Most aluminium dents are benign and when they're not, it would be obvious to even Stevie Wonder.

And you call that a dent? I would call it a #$@*&% catostrophy. No expert, but methinks that alu frame is toast.

Nail the mothers, if you can. Was your bike wrapped, boxed or in cycle bag?

It was boxed and the one wheel was on that side. Everything was wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard though so it would have taken something strong to cause this damage.

When i picked it up at the airport in joburg i saw it lying under all the bags on those luggage carts. i'm sure something like that counts as some serious negligence

I've learned that when it is boxed, they think it can not be damaged, and handles it rough. I  bubble wrap mine, put "Fragile" stickers on it and just wheel it on. That way they can see what it is and handles it more carefully.

Coming down with the Mtb the last time, I did not even bubble wrap it, and there were no damage. Which airline did you use. I always fly Kulula from Lanseria.

JB, how do you repair that?Wannabe2010-01-10 10:02:37