Polar speed sensors...

AndreZA

Why do everybody put their sensors pointing forward like in the manual and not backward out of sight? Is it just to make sure everybody sees that you are using a Polar?

I mounted mine nicely tucked away behind my fork and it looks much better then pointing forward and standing out like a sore thumb.

This looks stupid.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/polar/polarfork.jpg

This looks much better (Not my bike. Mine is on a MTB)

20100112_043408_440.jpgMampara2010-01-12 04:36:20

I had my Blackburn Delphi sensor facing forward. On a downhill run it "disengaged" from the spoke magnet and I lost my speed and distance for that portion of the ride.

It seems that the sensor moved with the wind (my riding mate told me we were at 77 km/h) and the gap between the sensor and the magnet was more than 5 mm.

Moved it to the back of the fork and it seems to be better.

I suppose if you mount it backwards, there's a vague chance that the sensor could rotate on the fork and get pulled into your spokes. If it's mounted forward the spokes would just push it away from them.

That does, however, sound like it's got similar validity to the justification for putting those 'lawyers lips' things on road bike forks.

Yes I also used to wonder about this, I always mounted it facing backwards on the fork leg.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

If facing backwards the direction of rotation will / could knock the sensor into the spokes if it touches the magnet or spoke for some reason. 

One day in a forest far far away......

while riding my mtb a small thing with leaves attached got caught up in my spokes and due to the direction of rotation it hit the speed sensor hard enough to allow the sensor to make contact with the spokes, luckily no permanent damage was suffered as I was only traveling at about walking speed. 

If the sensor had been facing forward on the fork it would not have been pushed towards the spokes by the small thing with leaves attached.

I put the sensor on my back wheel. Clean up the front and still gives your speed and distance covered on an indoor trainer.

while riding my mtb a small thing with leaves attached got caught up in my spokes and due to the direction of rotation it hit the speed sensor hard enough to allow the sensor to make contact with the spokes' date=' luckily no permanent damage was suffered as I was only traveling at about walking speed.?[/quote']

that will not happen with the new sensors. They have a bigger rubber mount that covers half of the fork leg.