Best MTB brakes?

SteelyDan

Question:

I have a 140mm rear and 160mm front setup. What are the best (aka reliable with good braking power, not that concerned about the weight) hydraulic brakes available, preferably locally?

Would prefer to keep rotor sizes "as-is"...

Thanks

The Schwynn I got came with Sram and Avid Juicy 5's. There is nothing wrong with the Juicy 5's. I don't know why I replaced mine. I weigh about 90kg's and the stopping power of these brakes are fine. Since I don't do much DH I can't speak for that but general purpose, no problems. I now have Elixer CR and they feel very smooth.

As far as I am concerned I don't need anything better. smiley1.gif

Oh, and the price offered by Dealer01, not bad at all!Schwynn2010-01-24 05:42:27

FORMULA' date=' FORMULA and FORMULA.

ORO's are good value, R1 superior piece of equipment
[/quote']

Absolutely no contest here!

The K24 won best hydraulic brake in 2009 (mtbr.com) with good reason.

If you like the 160/140 setup, the R1's is the lightest, but the 'The One' is only a little heavier with more than enough stopping power you will ever need

The K range is very well known and very highly respected.

I used to run '08 XT's, then went to '08 XTR's (step down), now going to K24's only because I got a great deal on them, else I would have definately went the 'The One' route.
Wernervdmerwe2010-01-24 06:21:56

I recently put a set of Hope Mini DX on my hardtail. They are flipping awesome, the stopping power is incredible. Would strongly recommend them. I have Avid Juicy's on my dual susser and you can't compare.

The juicys are getting a little long in the tooth now. The Ultimate is specificaly for top racers as they dont need as much brakes as the average rider. The ELIXER range has improved alot on the juicy range with its taper bore technology. Best stopping power vs value for money is the Elixer r. Crc is virtualy giving them away as you have the Cr,CR mag and now XX above it. I have the CR but really there is virtualy no difs and they are much cheaper.

Can only personally compare Jucy 5's vs XT 08. The XTs are far superior. Changing pads on the 5s was a nightmare as was setup. Not sure if Avid have remedied the problem. I would consider Hopes on my next bike.

The new ELIXER range is far better. The pads are easily fed from the top. The stopping power far exceeds all the Juicy range. Really try them out,They are top class and also are different from all the others as the disc brake housing is cylidrical and not square or rectangular like the others.

The new ELIXER range is far better. The pads are easily fed from the top. The stopping power far exceeds all the Juicy range. Really try them out' date='They are top class and also are different from all the others as the disc brake housing is cylidrical and not square or rectangular like the others. [/quote']

They definitely are better, & @ only R2500 for a set of Elixir Carbon's...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=73347&KW=elixir

Formula's. Doesn't matter which one. Pick your price range and go with the one that falls in there.

Nothing beats them. Nothing.

Yes, new elixer is better, but not close enough yet.

Shimano needs to up their came just to get on par with Avid nevermind Formula

Hope is on par with Avid but can be a bit pricey and heavy.

Magura needs to prove themselves reliable first

Tektro is on the up, but only just catching up

Funn can be good value for money, but with no real local support you might buy yourself some headaches

Hayes is hit-and-miss

Just a note on the Hope Tech brakes. Their are awesome and I will buy them again, but be warned! If you run a narrow bar (580mm) with a remote lockout and bar ends then you struggle for space due to their oil reservoir being quite shunky and not leaving space for your shifters underneath.

Other option is the Hope Mono Mini with its oil reservoir at the top

Otherwise Hope all the way.

Horses of courses really!