Best MTB brakes?

SteelyDan

I have not problems with my XTs running 140 at the back and 160 front. Any more power and it will rip the bike apart.

It's not about power. Yes there brakes with more power, but that's not always the point.

What you're after in a brake is feel, modulation, ease of fine tuning/set-up and resistance to heat build-up.

It's not about power. Yes there brakes with more power' date=' but that's not always the point.

What you're after in a brake is feel, modulation, ease of fine tuning/set-up and resistance to heat build-up.[/quote']

and the man in the street is gonna know what to look for there. Most only see suspension fork, even if it is a stupid elastomer one, and disk brakes and then it is cable brakes.

ease of fine tuning/set-up

you do that once

resistance to heat build-up.

who in SA, not DH racers, brakes for that long so that it becomes a problem?

resistance to heat build-up.

who in SA' date=' not DH racers, brakes for that long so that it becomes a problem?[/quote']

On day 2 of the 2008 Epic we walked up a hill for about 1.5 hours and then came down the other side - brakes were so hot that I lost 90% of braking power and had to stop and wait for them to cool before carrying on - but you are right, that was an extreme case and I haven't experienced it since

Mampara, I agree with all your responses to The Crow, but heat build up was an issue for me going down Sani Pass and that was with Hayes brakes.....and I'm no DH guru

So there is merit in heat build up especially in SA where the ambient temperature acts as catalyst.

Got to agree with Mampara !! If your brake system is "over-heating" then you are obviously not using your brakes correctly !! If you wanna STOP then use your brakes , if you want to go slower do above , get off and walk !

I'm a bit of a MTB equipment nooby but bought XT's in a box and have found them to be awesome.

Never installed hydraulic brakes before but had front and back on and set up in about 30 minutes. Never had heat build up (but then again I don't use the brakes much ;-), replacing pads is a 30 second job, squeal was easy to fix when it happened and modulation is awesome (from scrubbing speed to all out braking is comfortable and consistent).

14 months, about 25 races, 10000km - no problems. Haven't even replaced the pads or fluid.

I can't commet on the rest of the recommendations -  have no experience with them...

Eldron, I'm with you on this one!!Clap

The only "Bad" brake is the one that failed....I haven't heard any reports about those yet...

Shimano XT = good stuff!!

Hey Mampara, tried to fancy quote you but it doesn't work or I can't get it to work so here goes:

DH racers won't cook brakes cause they hardly brake and when they do it's only a light touch. Speed is of essence.

Lots of riders suffer brake fade they just don't always know what it is. Yeah you won't cook your brakes when you just head out for a ride or you're a km-junky. Things have to get real vertical before it'll happen but there are lots of places in CT where it can, and does happen. Only a hand full of people ever venture there though.

Yeah you only set the brakes up once, but if it takes a couple of minutes to get it EXACTLY where you want rather than half an hour of sweeting to get it where you're willing to settle its a bib plus. Also once you hit the trail an you realize you'd like to adjust it a little then you can. Cause the way you thought you like your brakes when you were in the shop and the way you actually do can be worlds apart.

Yip, most people won't notice but this guy is actually asking so let's tell him. And if a better brake set is gonna cost roughly the same you might as well go for the better one.

Small things like being able to mount either brake on left or right makes a big difference. When we ride we often swop bikes. The guy who rides motorbike style and who's levers can't swop is ALWAYS stuck with his own bike.

I had the same issue when I changed to Look pedals. Everybody else was still riding SPD's so I couldn't jump on their bikes for a quick spin.

For the rest of you: nothing WRONG with XT. But if you ride them back to back with Formula's or Avids you realize there's better out there. And if you're gonna spend the money now...

I suffer from the nasty comfort-braking habit - when we ride Welvanpas I can smell my brakes once we reach the orchids - a drop of water is reduced to vapour the moment they touch the pads  - not the best thing to do, but still a nifty party trick.

Also bigger guys will see the heat build-up more - so if you have possibly not experience it, you might just be on the lighter side!

• 2 weeks later...

Formula K24 brakes are awesome....really....modulation and feelis really great....They are on the GF's bike...

I have the Elixir CR set and they are much. much better than the Juicy 5's I was so used too. The are very very similar to the the Formulas...

XTs are good brakes.....