Stellenbosch MTB

Persona

I'm going to Stellenbosch this weekend

what is the best ride there Eden or Jonkershoek

I probably going to be alone and don't know these tracks at all

How long do you want to ride? You can easily do both in 2h30.  Start in eden, then do the bergpad out to the hangbrug, then hit Jonkers. But it will be difficult going the ride by yourself as there are no route markings etc..

Jumjum.. I rode Both this weekend, and Oh it was beautifull!

Jonkershoek is always a must. There are numeerous new singletrack on the right hand side of the vally. Try find a local on the hub by making a topis, Girls looking for ride in stellies this weekend! youll get lots of advice. hehe. You might not find the linking trails so easily if you are not familiar with the area. We rode from town to Jonkers, then back and went in at Coutzenburg rode the G0spot back there and then on towards Eden, I dont recomend it at the time as lots of trees fell over onto the trails.

hope you come right

No this sounds hectic I rather just do one of them

But some friends say Jonkers can not be approach alone for the first time. Why would they make a statement like that? I'm sure I will be able to do it safely and I suppose that there will be other rides too

No this sounds hectic I rather just do one of them

But some friends say Jonkers can not be approach alone for the first time. Why would they make a statement like that? I'm sure I will be able to do it safely and I suppose that there will be other rides too

Its only because It could be hard to find the good trails. not a Safety issue, unless you like crashing.

Im sure someone has a map yes. Sorry, I dont though.

I have a map (electronic) of the tracks as they were pre-fire (PM an e-mail ad. and I'll mail it to whoever wants it)....I know the two "river" single tracks have re-opened, as has the downhill section of the XC course on the south side.  Elioti is still closed, but all the Canary trails are available.

Are there other new trails on the South side Bos?  Where?

I think I must go early and chat to a few guys there before I start.

Is Jonkers a popular ride? I wound be the only out there.

Is Jonkers a popular ride?

There's more lycra there over a weekend than at a lycra factory.

I have a map (electronic) of the tracks as they were pre-fire (PM an e-mail ad. and I'll mail it to whoever wants it)....I know the two "river" single tracks have re-opened' date=' as has the downhill section of the XC course on the south side.  Elioti is still closed, but all the Canary trails are available.

Are there other new trails on the South side Bos?  Where?
[/quote']

Well Yes, ofcourse you know what they say.. If I tell you I'd have to..

The easiest of them all (you should know them by now, is to the inside of the circular route) It starts@ about 2 o 'clock If you'd be going clockwise you will turn right into it a bit passed the bridge right at the top. well there are 2 ( I must say I dont ride there often so I could find it but its difficult to explain, especially after the fires.

The other trail is apparently brand new. If you go right when the roads split and right again, and go into the singletrack climb (the one they built for the XC last year) and carry on going to the top. IOW when you come out the top of the singletrack, then head right, around the switchback (up) and keep going for another 2-3 km, eep your eyes open, it goes up on your right, Its *** steep and I sweated like a rapist going up there. Very soft aswell, but very cool ride once it flattens out it winds along a contour for about 3 km before a steep lose downhill.

Homer' date=' is Ellioti the ST that ran alongside the mountain at the top?  [/quote']

Yup.  Top "left hand" (facing into the valley) side.   Was a legendary track before the fire.  Sadly no more.

The other trail is apparently brand new. If you go right when the roads split and right again' date=' and go into the singletrack climb (the one they built for the XC last year) and carry on going to the top. IOW when you come out the top of the singletrack, then head right, around the switchback (up) and keep going for another 2-3 km, eep your eyes open, it goes up on your right, Its *** steep and I sweated like a rapist going up there. Very soft aswell, but very cool ride once it flattens out it winds along a contour for about 3 km before a steep lose downhill.
[/quote']

OK.  I saw the entrance to that late last year, guess before the track was finished.  Thought it was made by mountain goats. 

Maybe give Meurant or one of the Dirtopia team a call or throw them a mail as they may be able to fax or mail you a map to at least get your bearings before you hit the trails. As some of the other guys have mentioned, one or two of the singletrack sections are in a terrible condition so hopefully they will get cracking on them in the near future. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Hoek regardless of experience anyway...

Homer' date=' is Ellioti the ST that ran alongside the mountain at the top?  [/quote']

Yup.  Top "left hand" (facing into the valley) side.   Was a legendary track before the fire.  Sadly no more.

I've only ridden in Jonkers once before and was dragged up to that section.  The climb was no joke and the guy I was riding with put the fear of God into me about falling down the cliff.  Needless to say, I had an absolute blast on that piece.

Are there any plans afoot to repair it?

Maybe give Meurant or one of the Dirtopia team a call or throw them a mail as they may be able to fax or mail you a map to at least get your bearings before you hit the trails. As some of the other guys have mentioned' date=' one or two of the singletrack sections are in a terrible condition so hopefully they will get cracking on them in the near future. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Hoek regardless of experience anyway...[/quote']

The guy I rode with also kept moaning about the state of trails, I think  personally, those trails are SWEEET!! you should come ride tokai and see what Effed up trails looks like. man nothing under 4' front and rear at that place. Some of the Jonkers trails I rode this weekend was so groomed I got bored when there wasnt rocks to launch and ruts to plant the front into the corners.

Maybe you ment to say dustyWink ? cause that they were.