Burning quads

RAZORBLADE

CryGuys i need some info

I went to the gym  last night and cycled for about an hour on their normal bikes without any burning sensation of my quads. On the road my quads burn like hell. Is it normal or could it be something to do with the setup of my bike.

It could be setup-related: it was in my case. Even if that's not the cause of your problem, going for a proper bike setup is still money well spent.

Guest Agteros
CryGuys i need some info

I went to the gym  last night and cycled for about an hour on their normal bikes without any burning sensation of my quads. On the road my quads burn like hell. Is it normal or could it be something to do with the setup of my bike.

What resistance setting on the gym bike?

Is it early in your training or have you switched to road recently? When I went from road to mtb after more than a year of just road I had the same. Asked the same question to another forum. The reply I got was short and sweet: HTFU and ride more!

Which is what I did and no more quad probs. (Well, very little - still get it at times.) I got it esp when I was out of the saddle more often - also was told this may be due to an incorrect technique of riding out the saddle.

And lastly - as others have said - odds are that your road bike and the gym bike is not set up the same and you work different muscle groups.

I was told "No pain, no gain."

"If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it wrong."

Can't say I ever noticed buring sensations in my quads before, but they certainly let me know they were abused afterwards.

Try to stop smoking while you're riding, that may help.

I thought you were burning quad bikes but instead you want to burn you quad muscles. That's easy do SQUATS!!!!

OK you want to know how to do it on a bike, up the resistance and you could also do some intervals.

If your "spinning" the gears like Jan Ullrich did, surely your quads will feel a bit sore after a few min.

Watch old footage and see the machine power the big blade up the climbs.. not saying its the best approach but surely looks awesome

Try spinning more, higher cadence. obviously should setup be 100%, to low saddle can surely be your prob ??

Good luck man 

here's  thought, if yo are using the spinning bike in the gym remember there is lots of momentum that carries you pedal stroke over from 1 stroke to the next. on the road you don't have that pleasure hence the more you train on the road and less in the gym you will increase your strength sooner than later.

WElcome Anton and welcome to the Hub.

Please note the health warning: "The hub is highly addictive and no-one will accept resposibility for any side effects caused by prolonged exposure to this medium."

It could be that your saddle is too low and your quads arer connecting with your ciggie / joint while you're in motion. Try raising the saddle or getting rid of the twak.

Take two disprins and call me in the morning.

I agree with you but it was a normal training bike and not a spinning one.

At the end i have to agree """""No pain No gain"""".

Thanks for all your comments guys.