Carriers - which?

hboli4

Hi Hubbers,

Need some advice on the best type of carrier to fit, obviously keeping cost in mind. I have a hatchback and need to transport at least 2 bikes most and 3 bikes sometimes. I do not have a towbar fitted at present. Safety of the bikes when transporting is my major concern, not to bothered by fuel economy. Options:

1. Fit towbar to vehicle and purchase towbar mounted carrier - not sure about cost but probably not less than R3k for this exercise.

2. Fit roofracks to vehicle and purchase bike carriers - not sure about cost but probably same as above, especially when fitting Thule.

3. Purchase bootlid mounted carrier - cost much less than above options but concerned about stuffing up hinges of boot as well as some reports heard of bikes falling off some of these.

Please help, any suggestions or experiences you can share!!!

Option 1, with a thule ride-on. Otherwise there was a new brand being punted a few days back that's apparently decent, do a search and you'll dig it up.

I have the Thule ride on... very easy to use, but I don't feel very comfortable in the security of my bike on it for long trips. Would prefer something that locks on to the bike more securely (might have been fixed in more recent models, mine is 3 years old and the bikes fasten on with straps which come loose on longer trips). I haven't had any problems in 3 years, just don't feel comfortable about my bikes.

The roof racks are awesome unless you park your car in a garage. You are guaranteed to forget at some point (in my case, twice!). They are very secure (until you hear the crunching sound). The rack bent until it broke in half and the bike went through the back window of the car, but it was still solidly attached to the remaining pieces of the rack!

I know this doesn't help much, but hopefully gives you things to think of... If the thule has a secure way of attaching your bike to it now then I would definitely recommend that! I also much prefer tow bar mounted carriers, they just feel more secure...

Saris bones 2/3' date=' depending on how many bikes u want to carry.

Case closed.[/quote']

Thx Noche!!! Is this a trunk rack? Distributor in SA?

Its a trunk rack.

You can get them at cycle lab, but the distibutor is bicycle power trading.

Look no further than saris, trust me.

When you get one PM me and Ill tell you how to make your bike thief proof.

Thx Shaun, the main pro for me with the ride-on is that it seems very easy to use, but is also the pricier option. To fit a towbar is alreadty around R2k, hopefully a bit less for me, but then again, you can't place a price on the safety of the bikes...

At least I know that the roofracks hold on to your bike!!! Aish, that must've been a costly exercise. I'll have to do the old yellow sticker on the windscreen to remind me thing if I go for that option. I like this option just for keeping the bikes away from the dust & debris on the road, although you might pick up some bugs on the roof...at least nothing in the drivertrain.

Thx again for the advice!!!

Its a trunk rack.

You can get them at cycle lab' date=' but the distibutor is bicycle power trading.

Look no further than saris, trust me.

When you get one PM me and Ill tell you how to make your bike thief proof.[/quote']

One problem about living in Bloem, difficult to get hold of anything locally...

Will mostly transport 2 mtb's and one racer, will it work?

Rough indication on price?

Thx, will do that...