Volunteers required for Northern Farm

Dibles

Just got this email. You can contact Simon on simon at northernfarm dot co dot za if you are willing and able to help out.

"It is clear from the tone of some of the e mails I receive that many are unaware that I am a volunteer who has voluntarily taken on the responsibility of coordinating the mtb trails at Northern Farm as well as the interaction of the mtb community with the other interest groups involved in the farm, rather they believe that I am a paid employee.

Recent events at the farm, and the behaviour and expectations of cyclists using the farm have resulted in a substantially higher volume of work than normal.

The security patrols and guards have to be monitored. The trails have to be maintained and e mails have to be responded to, sometimes in excess of 100 per week. Where do we buy tickets, how far are the new routes, what security problems are there?

The bike wash has to be staffed and monitored, problems with mountainbikers entering through the back gates without paying resolved.

Things are lost, from bicycle wheels to car parcel trays, and need to be found and the owners need to be communicated with.

Frankly things have got to the point where it is more than a full time job for one person, a job for which I do not get paid.

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Other than Tony Deetlefs, who assists with the routes and trails, we have no other volunteers on the mountainbike side of Northern Farm, sad when you consider how many cyclists use the farm.

For that reason I am sending out this appeal for volunteers to assist me. We need assistance with the monitoring of the security patrols and the bike wash, answering e mails and sending out newsletters.We also need help with marking and maintaining trails.

Anybody who is willing and able to help, please contact me by the end of this week so that we can set up a meeting to coordinate everyones efforts and try and re-establish Northern Farm as a pleasant word in my dictionary!

Regards

Simon Nash"

I can make coffee and cake Big%20smile but im in CT Cry

I'm sure we could make a plan to courier the cake up here. Big%20smile

I hear Simon, and it must have sucked to be in his shoes of late due to all the nonsense thats been going on at NF.

BUT......

Surely as a paying customer (which is what cyclists are to northern farm) you deserve a certain level of security and overall services. Dont get me wrong, we do need volunteers, but its not like the spruit where we depend on municipality to get things done. NF is a private business which is making good money off cyclists.

It just feels like its their responsibility.

There are other factors obviously, and overall I think volunteers would be a great idea.

My 2 cents

Surely as a paying customer (which is what cyclists are to northern farm) you deserve a certain level of security and overall services. Dont get me wrong' date=' we do need volunteers, but its not like the spruit where we depend on municipality to get things done. NF is a private business which is making good money off cyclists.
[/quote']

as far as i know, northern farm is owned and run by joburg water.

I hear Simon' date=' and it must have sucked to be in his shoes of late due to all the nonsense thats been going on at NF.

BUT......

Surely as a paying customer (which is what cyclists are to northern farm) you deserve a certain level of security and overall services. Dont get me wrong, we do need volunteers, but its not like the spruit where we depend on municipality to get things done. NF is a private business which is making good money off cyclists.

It just feels like its their responsibility.

There are other factors obviously, and overall I think volunteers would be a great idea.

My 2 cents

[/quote']

At R10 per entry I doubt there is much profit to be made. Just look at all the facilities and trails that have been added over the years. All this costs money.

Surely as a paying customer (which is what cyclists are to northern farm) you deserve a certain level of security and overall services. Dont get me wrong' date=' we do need volunteers, but its not like the spruit where we depend on municipality to get things done. NF is a private business which is making good money off cyclists.
[/quote']

as far as i know, northern farm is owned and run by joburg water.

You are correct, Holy.

At R10 per entry I doubt there is much profit to be made. Just look at all the facilities and trails that have been added over the years. All this costs money.

a trailbuilder i interviewed a while back suggested that a kilometre of singletrack can cost you R1000 to build. maintenance can be just as costly.