Ninety Niner Cyclist participation

capeofstorms

OK' date=' just a comment from a MTBer....participating in only my second long road race...

Just how and where do one pick up these "skills"? I know all the basic theory of drafting and no X-wheeling etc etc.

but when do you practice these sort of riding (especially if you are a MTBer at heart and do not belong to a road club?)

Then, unfortunately, the races become the practice grounds...

Only solution - try and get into the earleir groups...= more experienced riders?

This is my one gripe - that i'm going to wipe out because of somebody else's stupidity....in the mountains it's mostly your own doing that get you unstuck!!

[/quote']

Hey, Cassie,

You are on the mark.
There is no way but to gain your experience through racing. Also, the best form of training is racing!   smiley2.gif

Yah, unfortunately, the risk in racing is pretty high. Nothing one can do about it, but do what you can to be alert and vigilant when you cross the start line.

I hear about accidents in all the groups - experienced, faster and inexperienced, slower - which is mostly due to error in judgement.

[i'm about to fetch my iron horse from the bike shop after picking up a buckled wheel during a race on Saturday. I had no part in the cause of the collision and carry some of the costs / consequences]

Not true Geno come ride with us.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair price, excellently organised race. smiley1.gif

Rides are expensive, so I pick mine in advance - and this is one of the rides I will do as long as I can.

The bike marshals are awesome, awesome, awesome!

Can anyone comment on the marshal that fell in our bunch? B bunch, and I think his name was "Terrabyte" - I hope the idiot C rider that caused him to fall's conscience chews him.

I thought it was an awesome ride - but considering I haven't actually raced since the Argus 2 years ago, I might be naive (apart from a dismal 24-hours at Wiesenhof). Lekker scenery, cows in the fields, roling hills to the horizon. And the entry fee is what I'd spend shopping on Saturday morning, so I got kept out of mischief.

My mind boggles at the organisation it all takes. On road manners, I hate peletons myself - but I wish, wish, wish the "Keep left pass right" rule was adhered to.

OK' date=' just a comment from a MTBer....participating in only my second long road race...

Just how and where do one pick up these "skills"? I know all the basic theory of drafting and no X-wheeling etc etc.

but when do you practice these sort of riding (especially if you are a MTBer at heart and do not belong to a road club?)

Only solution - try and get into the earleir groups...= more experienced riders?

This is my one gripe - that i'm going to wipe out because of somebody else's stupidity....in the mountains it's mostly your own doing that get you unstuck!!

Cassie

Why don't you come train at Killarney on Tuesday and Wednesday nights?

Tuesday is relaxed, run by a couch Gerhard Genis for PPA, R15.00

Wednesday is in three group, slow medium fast. Run by two Ladies from Western Prov Cycling, R20.00.

cytomax2010-02-15 19:22:20

?

Just how and where do one pick up these "skills"? I know all the basic theory of drafting and no?X-wheeling etc etc.

?

?

?

?

?

?
[/quote'] Hey, Cassie, You are on the mark. There is no way but to gain your experience through racing. Also, the best form of training is racing!   smiley2.gif Yah, unfortunately, the risk in racing is pretty high. Nothing one can do about it, but do what you can to be alert and vigilant when you cross the start line. I hear about accidents in all the groups - experienced, faster and inexperienced, slower - which is mostly due to error in judgement. [i'm about to fetch my iron horse from the bike shop after picking up a buckled wheel during a race on Saturday. I had no part in the cause of the collision and carry some of the costs / consequences]

Not true Geno come ride with us.

Yah, udxcob, agree!

Training in a lekka bunch goes a long way to build experience.

What is true is that racing is the best form of training - the pressure element, the thrill.

And, I will hook up soon.   smiley9.gif