Ninety Niner Cyclist participation

capeofstorms

Stop picking on Lee, he is a little sensitive, anyway he would much rather be on the MTB.

Come on you know its true. 

And yes his work hours are a bitch, we try to get out every wednesday after work to get a ride in at hillcrest, and more often that not one of his truly reliable workers doesnt pitch so he has to stay and bang goes another wednesday.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well organized event ... they finally got the start times right so the medium and short route riders did not interfere with the long route finish, well done! 

I was told that the entry fee was R280 when I arrived at the 99er?.. so I did the best thing possible. I did not enter I just went for a ride on my own. It has become ridiculous the entry fee charged at races/fun rides. Road cycling was a family sport but at these prices they (PPA, CSA & Race organizers) are killing the sport. Yes it?s cool to ride and receive an official time but something needs to be done about the costs of rides. The PPA needs to be brought to task on this. When I asked them about 2 months ago why the cost was so high they merely told me that it was up to the race organizer what entry fee they would charge. I just think that the PPA can and should lay down a standard entry fee and the organizers should stick to it.

If funrides are full, then the price is right. It's a pretty simple concept really.

If you feel your money is better spent on something else, that's your choice. If you spend the money, it's because you agree that the price is right.

I think every cyclist (including me!) should be involved in organising one fun ride per year. Then you'll understand what it takes to organise a race, and how much it costs. The 99'er is extremely well organised, and they've been smart enough to move to a new venue (for which they pay) when the race got too big to run from the school. The late entry fees are steep ... but you know that, so enter in advance. Organise a ride ... then you'll appreciate what you get when you ride! (And yes, I have organised road running races and triathlons!).

Hi' date='

Despite a well orgainized event, only half the number of cyclist entered compared to Die Burger.

One would have expected more considering that it was a seeded event. Was the entrance fee to high or was it because the event took place on a Saturday.

[/quote']

ErmmI counted about 2500 finishers in all categories which, I think, puts it in 3rd place for participation in the W. Cape?

I know of several cyclists who said that were not entering just because of the 2 steep climbs at the end and I am also of the opinion that it wasn't very appropriate for the funriders (who form the majority), many of whom had to walk the last km!

I suspect there may be a lot less entries next year if the route is the same.

Otherwise, as usual, a superbly organised event.

And what about a discount for pensioners???!!!!
Old Dog2010-02-15 02:49:36

Nice race.  Vissershok and the last 1 km were a "nice" challenge.  <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Something else:  I believe that for the elites there should be rolling road closure in all PPA races.  These guys are serious about their cycling.  Due to wind direction ext. it is not always possible to stay left of the white line.   PPA should seriously consider this.

Something else:??I believe that for the elites there should be rolling road closure in all PPA races.? These guys are serious about their cycling. Due to wind direction ext. it is not always possible to stay left of the white line.

Perhaps we could also get the roads widened so that we can have echelons that are 30 metres wide.   smiley29.gif

Guttering is one of the ways of splitting a pack.

We don't need road closures, we need both cyclists and motorists to abide by the rules of the road, that's all. If you have road closure for the elites, who's to say that the vets don't take their cycling seriously? Or the ladies? What about say A-E bunches? F-K bunch? K-Z?

Point taken, but

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The elites race to win the overall race and therefore I believe that there should be rolling road closure for only them.  

We all (most of us) take out cycling seriously, but you got to be realistic we not going to take the overall win. 

in 2010 2505 finsihers

in 2009 2757 finshers

cycling is a growing sport the number should have gone up and not down.

It's always been a well organised race.

they shoud leave out the BIG goodie bags and drop the price to attract more cyclist.

Another point is that, there have been many cyclist falling due to the fault of others, it could be scaring them off, saving them selves and there equipment for the "ARGUS?

The race is well organised. I rode in the G bunch and some of the guys were putting all our lives at risk. A bike marshal would have sorted this out quickly. The back road to Phillie and N7 was not great and to narrow for big bunches. The hills at the end were hard work and Odendaal should be cut out if the same route is kept. I do think this route was chosen for the league guys in mind and not us fun riders.

Yes i agree

Many stupid sods out there.

Witnessed many silly mistakes and 90% of the time, the innocent pays

BTW the bike marshalls are doing a STERLING job Thumbs%20Up

Clap

Clap

OK, just a comment from a MTBer....participating in only my second long road race...

Just how and where do one pick up these "skills"? I know all the basic theory of drafting and no X-wheeling etc etc.

but when do you practice these sort of riding (especially if you are a MTBer at heart and do not belong to a road club?)

Then, unfortunately, the races become the practice grounds...

Only solution - try and get into the earleir groups...= more experienced riders?

This is my one gripe - that i'm going to wipe out because of somebody else's stupidity....in the mountains it's mostly your own doing that get you unstuck!!

OK' date=' just a comment from a MTBer....participating in only my second long road race...

?

Just how and where do one pick up these "skills"? I know all the basic theory of drafting and no?X-wheeling etc etc.

but when do you practice these sort of riding (especially if you are a MTBer at heart and do not belong to a road club?)

?

Then, unfortunately, the races become the practice grounds...

?

Only solution - try and get into the earleir groups...= more experienced riders?

?

This is my one gripe - that i'm going to wipe out because of somebody else's stupidity....in the mountains it's mostly your own doing that get you unstuck!!

?

?

?
[/quote']

Hey, Cassie,

You are on the mark.

There is no way but to gain your experience through racing. Also, the best form of training is racing!   smiley2.gif

Yah, unfortunately, the risk in racing is pretty high. Nothing one can do about it, but do what you can to be alert and vigilant when you cross the start line.

I hear about accidents in all the groups - experienced, faster and inexperienced, slower - which is mostly due to error in judgement.

[i'm about to fetch my iron horse from the bike shop after picking up a buckled wheel during a race on Saturday. I had no part in the cause of the collision and carry some of the costs / consequences]