Somone mentioned meltdown...

MJ the Expat

oh...and I had to drink that disgusting stuffs!! (*vomit)

What did you break? (I mean, why the scan?)

That stuff makes your blood glow on the image and all sorts of other stuff

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see the neuro surgeon a couple of months back. (Killer morning migranes). He sent me for an MRI. I remembered an episode of House where it ripped a bullet out of a guy due to the magnetic force.

I have a steel bar wired to my ribs and sternum. I freaked out, thinking the MRI was gonna rip it outta my chest. Between all the radiologists and the neuro they weren't sure what would happen, but he wanted an MRI cos he said a CT wouldn't show him what he wanted to see.

Anyway... I ended up being a guinea pig, went in the machine, and was nervous as heck. Thankfully nothing happened... didn't find out what caused the migranes either... but the noise in the MRI gave me one! haha!

What did you break? (I mean' date=' why the scan?)

[/quote']

nope. not broken. I have good bones!Big%20smile

wanted to check my adrenal glands, on my kidneys. and yes, I am fine.

I went to see the neuro surgeon a couple of months back. (Killer morning migranes). He sent me for an MRI. I remembered an episode of House where it ripped a bullet out of a guy due to the magnetic force.

I have a steel bar wired to my ribs and sternum. I freaked out' date=' thinking the MRI was gonna rip it outta my chest. Between all the radiologists and the neuro they weren't sure what would happen, but he wanted an MRI cos he said a CT wouldn't show him what he wanted to see.

Anyway... I ended up being a guinea pig, went in the machine, and was nervous as heck. Thankfully nothing happened... didn't find out what caused the migranes either... but the noise in the MRI gave me one! haha!
[/quote']

Stainless steel is almost non magnetic so you should be fine...You should change radiologists...REALLY!!!

And bullets (lead) are also non magnetic...Oh and the episode of House where the oke with the tatoos had blood seaping through his skin is also BS...Tatoos contain lead and thus non magnetic. Shocked Trust me, I know!!!

What did you break? (I mean' date=' why the scan?)

[/quote']

nope. not broken. I have good bones!Big%20smile

wanted to check my adrenal glands, on my kidneys. and yes, I am fine.

That is good news then...I once went for a brain scan...it came back negative...

Yeah! I watched the myth busters on tatoos in the MRI machine, and they're safe.

As for my steel bar... I couldn't remember what material it was. I remember from material science way back in varsity that only lower grade stainless steels have magnetic properties, and hopefully anything used for medical purposes does not fall into the "lower grade" category, haha!

But yeah, I was hoping for either a nice high grade stainless steel or a titanium alloy of sorts, so as to avoid the potential pain that the MRI could cause.

Seems I'm safe! I should really go speak to the cardio-thorasic who put it in there, so I can answer questions if I'm ever in a simlar situation. As for the radiologists... it was the only hospital within cycling distance, haha!
patches2010-02-19 08:35:55

MJ, -273 C is absolute zero - not possible to get there (yet). One theory is that if you did, matter would cease to exist.

Helium boils at -269 C. Close, but not *quite* there.

As for the stainless thing, martensitic grades (430 and the like) are magnetic, ferritic (304 and 316) are not. Unless you bend them. But that's a whole other story, and I've forgotten most of it.

*takes off nerd hat, puts away for the weekend*