Replacing knobblies with slicks

DesertConvert

Hi

I need to replace the knobblies on my mtb with slicks (a once off swap for the Argus). I had the bike shop add sealant to the tyres. I'm assuming that the sludge is in the tube, and that changing the knobblies to slicks is in theory quite easy.

So for those that have done this:

1.) Does the sludge leave the tube when deflating the tyre?

2.) Would the sludge clog the valve?

3.) Is this procedure a lot more complex than I imagine it to be? i.e. Would I have to replace the tubes?

Thanks in advance

Hi

You get tubes with slime in it.

Asked the shop if that is what they put in. If you get new slicks on, I dont think you should worry about punctures. The roadies before you should clean up all the little things lying around in the road.

Make sure you pump them to the max (as indicate on the sidewall), your MTB will handle like a roadbike, light and as if you are on road tires.

If the sludge is in the tube, yes, be carefull when deflating, it will spill from the valve.Onve it spill out, just pump it again to put air back through the valve.

Dont worry, you will work it out once you get your hands on it.

popeye2010-02-23 01:38:39

1.) Does the sludge leave the tube when deflating the tyre? only if the vlave is full of sealant. So make sure the valve is clear by leaving it at 6'oclock for about 5 minutes then rotate it to 3/9'oclock for another 2 and the to 12'oclock before deflating. No selant should come out.

2.) Would the sludge clog the valve? no. If it does' date=' then just give it a quick shot of air with the pump

3.) Is this procedure a lot more complex than I imagine it to be? i.e. Would I have to replace the tubes? it is a very easy job and should take about 10 minutes once valves have been cleared (see point 1). No you do not need to replace tubes.

[/quote']