Threadless Stem Handlebar Height

River Rat

How does one go about adjusting the height of a handlebar with a threadless stem? Or can this only be done by a bike mechanic and if so who do recommend in Pretoria?

PS I am familiar with the quill stem adjustment.

Its quite easy all you need is the right sized spacers and the right size allan key, plus some space to put the spacers if you want to raise the height.

Basically you add (to raise) or remove (to lower) spacers between the stem and top headset bearing.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This is all dependant on how much steerer (fork tube) you have above the top headset bearing, if its already all spaced up and there is less than +/- 5mm protruding above the stem then you have a problem if you need to raise it more.

Care needs to be taken when tightening the stem again to ensure the headset bearing is not "overloaded" (overtightened) or "underloaded" (has to much play).

Hey Swissvan, you have just taught a man how to fish!!!Big%20smile I love the link for a whole lot of other items!Clap

Many Thanks!