What do I want - Spark or Superlight?

bikemonster

Hi All

Interested to hear your opinions on these bikes.

I like Scott; my road bike is a CR1 and I absolutely love it. So that pre-disposes me toward the Spark. Prolly a Spark 40.

But I like the not-so-obviousness of the Santa Cruz Superlight. Then there's the fact that I can spec it in a colour scheme to float my own personal boat.

I'd prolly need to downspec the Superlight slightly to get it for a similar price as the Spark 40, but I figure that just means that I get to upgrade stuff on a well-regarded frame over time.

I'm not terribly weight weenie, and for a MTB I figure my technique (or lack) and the bike's ability to roll over stuff counts for more than weight difference anyway.

As a plus, the LBS that carries Santa Cruz is more than happy to tailor the bike to meet my needs, whereas the LBS's that carry other brands have the quaint notion that letting me watch them navigate websites somehow equates to service and salesmanship. Hmmm. I may have just answered my question.

So, my imaginary friends, let me have your wisdom...

James bikemonster2010-03-22 07:21:27

Buy the new Turner Flux on chain rxn cycles for about R14k. Is amazing bike that weight 100g more than the Spark carbon frame. Go and check out reviews on internet - great bike

Depends, spark seems more racy, superlight could be built te be a more play bike with relaxed geometry, or am I wrong ?

Depends what you want, but both are good frames to build on, superlight (alu ? ) shuold be more robust then.

Don't go for the Superlight,I prefer only seeing my one and 1 or 2 others  at races or on the trail.

Go for the superlight -single pivot = low maintanance.

Spend your money now on a good headset - CK or Hope,upgrade other parts as they wear out.

It looks like economics is making the decision for me. The Santa Cruz just can not be built within my budget. Even with relatively humble Rock Shox Reba fork and SRAM X7 gruppo, it comes in at about R2.5k more than the Scott Spark 40.

I'll report back as things progress/change.

Thanks to all who've contributed to the thread.

Yep, for normal people that is always the funstopper, money.  I also bought a lower spec bike and upgraded later, cost more but I just did not have the money at the time. 

Back on the MTB are we?!  You'll have to fight OJ for the chairmanship.  He's nicked your place ;-)

santa cruz are going to replace the superlight soon with another single pivot, link accentuated xc bike... wait for that rather...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The answer turned out to be a Spark 40.

I thought that the Santa Cruz was the cooler bike, but it was out of my budget, and I think that the Spark is the better XC race bike.

Anyhoo, the Spark is watching over my shoulder as I type this, and even though the only ride that I have done with it so far is a short trip around the neighbourhood with son of bikemonster (age 6), I think that I will be very happy with the bike.