What mtb for 11 year son?

orbeaorca

I am looking to get my 11 year old an mtb. He is about 149 and has inseam of 72.

I need help with the

1. what size do I get him?

2. what would  be suitable bike? not spending more R6000-R9000 

thanks

I'd advise to build one - I've just built my (8 year old (just)) a bike based on my 'cast off's (good excuse for me to upgrade!!!) and a 14" hardtail frame I bought from CRC - The frame worked out around R1k to R1.2k or so.

He was previously on a 24er - which was SOOOO heavy - now he has a tiny 26er with proper components.

I would go with levett as I plan to do the same with my 10yr old daughter.

You also get an opportunity to build up tools and experience. Much need when you become the family mechanic.

that does sound like a good idea. which one did you get? I wanted to give him my mtb which is a size small orbea and get a other bikeBig%20smile. You think that will be to big?

My lad is completely spoiled (I have to be honest! Though so am I!). the frame I got was:

still heavy for it's size (actually weighs around 1.8kg), but built up into a nice bike.

It has mostly XT components (my cast-off's) - though I did have to buy him XT cranks (as they were the only ones I could get in 165mm):

and I got 80mm travel RST Forks from Planet-X (Kiwi)

Makes up to a fantastic bike!

My son decided he wanted a 26" wheeled bike, so I bought him a Silverback Oakland.

Glad I didn't buy anything more expensive as he hasn't ridden the darn thing in 6 months and wants me to sell it !

Giving most kids (including mine) the choice, they would love to sit in front of the TV or Playstation (or whatever version they have) - very few 'want' to go cycling (before they get there) - but once there, they generally love it.

I was told I was cruel to my lad when I entered him (when he was 7) into the 20km Dirt Festival at Northern Farms - when he finished, he loved it (I wondered why my arm ached so much at the end though - I was pushing him, and caught him, on one flat section, with his brakes on because he thought we were going too fastConfused).

He asked, after we got back from the Argus, if he could do the Argus next year - a) they won't let him, and b) even I think 110km is too much for a 9 year old!
levett2010-03-23 08:35:09

he hasn't ridden the darn thing in 6 months and wants me to sell it !

Tony - you gave him a choiceShocked All kids would love to sit in front of the TV or Playstation (or whatever version they have).

I was told I was cruel to my lad when I entered him (when he was 7) into the 20km Dirt Festival at Northern Farms - when he finished' date=' he loved it (I wondered why my arm ached so much at the end though - I was pushing him, and caught him, on one flat section, with his brakes on because he thought we were going too fastConfused).

He asked, after we got back from the Argus, if he could do the Argus next year - a) they won't let him, and b) even I think 110km is too much for a 9 year old!
[/quote']

At least  mines not sitting on his bum in front of the TV with his playstation.  He'd rather play cricket and soccer.

The Thug2010-03-23 08:10:30

At least  mines not sitting on his bum in front of the TV with his playstation.  He'd rather play cricket and soccer.

I didn't mean to wind you up Tony - I've seen you and you're lad at Teaks - it was a 'generalisation', rather than specific.

Appologies - Dave Embarrassed