New Bike Advice

Jackhorner

I'm looking to buy a bike to use in weekend races, I have been doing the 50km plus rides and my Mongoose Otero Super just aint cutting it, I realised in the Argus 55km that it was time to let her go. I have approx 15k to spend should I buy new, buy on the hub or from CRC as I will be in UK for a week next month. Any advice please.

My advice... definitely second hand and also definitely on the hub (as long as you know what you?re looking for), there are some really good deals you just need to check the site frequently and be quick as the good deals are snatched up fast, also make sure you know your bike size beforehand so that you don?t end up asking a seller of a good deal tons of questions that will only end up resulting in someone else getting the bike because he knows what he's looking for and the seller wants to get rid of the bike. A good time is also beginning of the year, this is when a lot of sponsored riders get rid of their bikes that they essentially got for free so prices are good but you need to also be cautious because these machines although they're good deals have probably been ridden hard so you need to know what to look out for.

hi,

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I've been thinking about getting a MTB (currently a roadie) and have been offered a Otero Super second hand, To me, knowing nothing about MTB's it looked like a good starter bike, What was it that you didn't enjoy about the Bike and now on the upgrade trail ?

Also would getting the otero be better than a entry level hard tail ?

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"><>

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Hi spyce, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed my Otero and still do, I started on a GT hardtail and the move to the Otero was a great decision. The bike has given no hassles, in fact I am using it at the Vigne a Vigne this weekend. The reason I want to upgrade is simply to be more competitive in the higher end races where I experience the frustration of riders seemingly gliding past me on the straights after I have nailed them on the hills.

Good deals are available on the hub, junkmail and don't forget fellow riders at your club or group rides.

Just let every fellow cyclist know that you're looking for something else, and you just might come across one that says "I have a Cannondale/Merida/Schwinn gathering dust, you can have it for peanuts."

BUT, do your home work. Know your size (frame and crank arms), know what level of groupset you'd like, read up on wheels and highlight/make a mental note of the ones you like.

Lastly, be patient. The deal will come.

for under 18k you can get a felt carbon hardtail with SLX and reba fork, put some lighter wheels on later and you will be flying.

unless you ewant a duallie ?

Try cycletraders in woodstock lower main raod.

They have a range of MTB at the moment. smiley1.gif

Try The Cycle Factory 021 552 8285, 2010 Swinn Moab Carbon H/Tail (Black and white- awesome looking) for R 15 000.00.

I believe this is the best new buy now on the market currently in this price range.

PS When dealing with any shop for a bike in this price range, try to negotiate to have tubeless conversion included in the price!!!

Good LuckThumbs%20Up