Home anodise setup and DIY light

thysmeades

Hi Troutie, nice of you to stop by!! I smiled when I saw that comment as well.

I do wish you every success and that you "coin" it BIG..

Just doing my bit to help the budding light builders out there, and what better example than this one..

I agree, the work into evey light takes just so much time so it's not extremely lucrative, but for a good mate here and there (in my case), it's ok.

do you sell build kits, I could help you maybe sell here on the hub (as you can see, there is some interest), you may just have to sharpen the pencil a little as we only earn RANDs here in SA, not the mighty POUND.

let know if you are keen, and all the best with your light adventure.

Thys

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Troutie. What battery are you using Li-on or Li-P? Sorry if I am using the wrong terminology.

@ Thys. What is the battery run time on these units. (Your specific setup) What are you going to be using them for I.E Trans Baviaans or just early morning training?

Amazing looking light by the way. One of the guys I ride with on the odd occasion has just ordered a light from Troutie.

Mighty pound  dont you read the news  the UK is on its arse .

no gold and diamond mines over here Cry

Yes  allways interested in expanding the Trout empire Tongue

Dirty Twin  

14.8 volt  Li ion  or Li PO  2.6 Ah   will do the job  nicely but a 5.6 Ah is better.

if you run at 1 amp then the 2.6 Ah will run for 1.5 hours on full 

DT: morning :)

light has levels 1 to 5, like the rev 3 you have.

level 1 - 15-20 hours plus

level 5 - not sure but I think about 2 hours

I use it for morning training, but one like this did the trans last year and the report back was exceptional.

I also have the "Cube" which I use mainly for road riding.

20090821_025820_17082009428.jpg

20090821_025905_17082009427.jpg

End covers on  - 3mm perspex laser cut to size with

internal engraving

20090821_025948_19082009436.jpg

20090821_030038_20082009444.jpg

On the bike.

20090821_030119_20082009446.jpg

All photos taken at ISO 80, f3, 4seconds. Very nice beam for the road.

(quite direct hot spot with nice side spill - remember the optics can be

customised and changed in a few minutes) the perspex lens also seems to

divert side light over the controls of the bike which is also quite

nice.

Control shot

20090823_233729_IMG_0400.jpg

L1

20090823_234020_IMG_0395.jpg

L3

20090823_234401_IMG_0397.jpg

L5

20090823_234550_IMG_0399.jpg

Guest Big H

Troutie..... is it not dangerous to use LiPo batteries. We use them on the RC choppers and it goes with great warnings of spontaneous combustion and explosions. I do not want one of those things exploding between my legs and meting my frame..... or  my nuts!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the useful information, I am busy with my own light project and found this to be very helpful.

Big H I have been using Li-po for almost 3 years now without any problems. However I can see/feel your concerns with melting your nads eish that could cause premature detonations.

Thanks for all the useful information' date=' I am busy with my own light project and found this to be very helpful.[/quote']

Hi P, if you need any help, I would be happy to try and assist. I am however by no means the final authority on this.

So I've disappeared off the hub for 3 or 4 days because the urge to build a proper light setup has consumed my every waking moment.

Pop in today after sourcing, ordering and designing the electronic parts for my new build projects and I stumble upon a thread that looks like mine from the future smiley24.gif

It's the weirdest thing. My project will have a handlebar mounted light and helmet mount.

Handlebar mount light; 6 x XPG - R5 bin, 3 modes by switching on 2 LEDs at a time. Optics are mixed. estimated 1800lm and 2h30m full power run time (+- 8h00 at 600lm)

Helmet mount light; 4 x XPG - R5 bin, 2 modes same as above, BUT only driving at 500mA per LED to make it less power hungry, however optics are throw oriented. Estimated 730lm for 2h30 and 5h00 @ 365lm

And the casing design so far looks very similar to your cube...

Great job on your lights, you've done everything like I would have and better.

my reference list now includes: Troutie AND thysmeades

Troutie..... is it not dangerous to use LiPo batteries. We use them on the RC choppers and it goes with great warnings of spontaneous combustion and explosions. I do not want one of those things exploding between my legs and meting my frame..... or  my nuts!!!!!!!!!

Li-pos are very dangerous, but are fine if you use them correctly. Like most things I guess. They dont like to be over charged (which shouldn't happen if you use the correct charger), or under discharged, (which shouldn't happen as your driver should switch the light off before this happens), as well as being punctured or pierced, (which should happen, cause one should just not do that!!)

A good mate of Troutie's in the UK is also producing lights' date=' either built up or a DIY.

http://www.dstar-led.com/

[/quote']

Nice lights but they all seem to come in at around the same price. Have got a quote for Nightlightning, Ayup and checked out a few more and they are all thereabouts in terms of price.

Is it the battery that whacks it up?

Thys' date=' that Cube is amazing. Did you mak the case yourself? Where can I source that thing?

[/quote']

hi DB, the cube was born and bred in my brain. I had an engineering shop machine it up for me. After I built it, i vowed never to do it again!! I was a nightmare trying to work in such small spaces. But in the end it came out quite nice.

I can get the block machined, would just need the guts. If I can get a driver, LED, switch and power jack I am sorted. I would even be happy only having 600 lumens. These 1000 lumen lights are just serious overkill.