29er Bikes - Hard or Soft?

Iwan Kemp

You like having an extra 3" - but do you prefer HT or Full Suspension  

1. 1. You like having an extra 3" - but do you prefer HT or Full Suspension

• Extra 3" makes it more comfortable so I don't mind a HT
    • Extra 3" with another 4" of squish floats my boat

That was only true while there were either no 29r FS bikes available or the ones that were were crappy, now that it's sorted it is no longer valid ;)

Bought the same, cannot agree more

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what you want from it and your general type and style of riding...

I have both 29" dual and HT.

I love my HT (SS) for acceleration and the short course type stuff.

I love my dual (Niner RIP9) for the comfort and plush ride it gives me on longer day in the saddle type rides.

If you have to chose one, chose on your general type and style of riding;

Aggressive, fast accelerate and decelerate; HT

More marathon style and long hrs clocked; dual

To ride a ht over rough terrain is worse than riding a dually over smooth terrain, especially since the rear can lock out. For long rides there is nothing better than a 29er dually.

As said before a hard tail is a hard tail. 29r is slightly better than 26 but only just. and it is not an extra xxxx" of travel. Maybe an inch if that much. The wheel is bigger sure, but bump absorption is still being done by the tire and there is not that much difference there.

I have a very plush 29er Dual (Santa Cruz) and a Scot Pro HT 29er. HT I can stand to climb, the dually I can sit to descent. Pick your style and compensate for your weaknesses??. I work for income and cycle for pleasure, so I find I am on the dually a lot since I am not fit and tough enough "to suck it up" anymore for long rides. Will do Babbas this weekend on the hardtail (hoping for around 2:40) because the course allows for it. BTW great ride at Groenkloof this morning - giraffe bull was very protective of little one, and wouldn't let us pass. Had to turn around. Another great day in P-town!! (picture too big to upload - how do I fix that?)

I ride both DS and HT 29er .Once you have addapted to a HT. 29 riding style it becomes addictive. It is hard on your lower back though so i take the DS for 70km rides .HT also teaches you to be better rider and needs more fitness .Magalis monster in 10 days.can,t decide what to ride on those steep climbs and fast rocky descents

I have a DS but rarely use the rear suspension, then again longest off road iv'e done on it is 75km.

29" Dual!

Test ride one, but be warned... once you have you won't want to ride anything else.