Chain skipping???????

G.I.G

Same thing happened to me - had to buy a new casset. Do your self a favour' date=' buy a Park Tool Chain Checker to see how worn your chain is. We all like to think our chain is OK, but by the time we replace the chain it has buggered up the cassett as well. Also spend the extra R100  or so and buy a better qualitiy chain. Cassetts are expensive to replace.[/quote']

Hector, explain to us how R100 can buy a better chain?

I think he meant -extra R100 - ie on top of the R200 already allocated - perhaps XT vs LX or something. Or in your opinion does the amount of money spent not make much difference to durability?

I think he meant -extra R100 - ie on top of the R200 already allocated - perhaps XT vs LX or something.

That was my guess' date=' but I wanted to make sure.

Or in your opinion does the amount of money spent not make much difference to durability?

Given that you already have a chain of quality, in other words, not something made in India from coat hanger wire, throwing more money at a chain will not buy you a better chain.

I'll define "better" as a chain that will last longer. Once you have purchased a bottom-of-the-range Shimano, Campag, Wipperman, YBN, KMC or the like, a more expensive chain will not last longer.

More money buys you a shinier chain (same steel, just some cosmetic silver stuff on top) or perhaps a lighter chain (hollow pins, perforated sideplates etc), but not a more durable chain.

They're all made from the same carbon steel and their wear properties are identical.

SRAM makes a chain with some super extra cross-hatched peening that makes the chain stronger laterally, but most chains with even elementary peening are already so strong that we rarely break them. What's the point then?

Simply put, an XTR chain is not better than a HG-53 that bears no Shimano series name or indeed, a KMC from China.

Shimano works hard at counter-marketing this truth and has produced chains with directional sideplates, special profiles, specific series-compatibility and the like. A humble YBN on Dura Ace works and lasts equally well.

It couldn't possibly be that your freewheel hub is worn, could it? Or am I barking up a wrong tree?