to chain guide or not to chain guide

fridge

Looks Like this is my 1st post hehehe

OK lets get down to bussines i own a gt chucker 1.0 (2008)

I have removed the front derailer and i will remove the front granny ring tonight.

Do you peeps think i should get a chain guide or not?

If i need to get Chain guide are there any recommendations (something that is not to expensive) ?

TNX

A general recommendation would be, yes, get a chain guide. But if you are using a single speed chainring then you might be able to get away without  using a guide.

My Scandal is a 1x9 and I use an e13-xcx chain guide that I purchased from CRC.  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47875

You could however if you have an old FD, cannibalise it slightly and use that as a chain guide.

Here is a link that has some good ideas.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=158959

And welcome to The Hub!

Another thought would be to use a bashring in place of your large chainring then a chainguide wouldn't be necessary.

I have a Race Face Diabolus Chainguide for sale.  Works really well. 

I'll let you have it for R650.

are you running geared at the back? Then you will definitely need a guide. Even with a bashring the chain is still going to jump off going over bumps.

Thanks the Thug i will have a look at the forum you pointed me to.

o and Daft Vader i dont think i am gonna take it just yet, Why are you selling it though if it "works very well"

@Eedubz

yep geared at the back currently 8 but i wanna drop it down to seven cause i dont use the innermost cog at all i do have a a bash ring in the front.

i lose the the chain (it jumps to my granny gear) when i land a a bit hard

I have upgraded to an E-13 Taco guide which has a built in bashring.

I have used the raceface guide for over 2 years.  I wore out one set of plastics, so replaced them.  I have never had a moment's trouble with it.  Having said that, I change my mind.  I do not have a race face guide for sale, but I do have a blackspire dew lite double chain ring guide for sale.

The RF is going on my cherry bomb.