Shock cover

nacho!

I've noticed after rides on my Giant Trance the rear shock gets quite alot of dirt stuck to it because of its location relative low to the ground. This is however can cause a short live span for the seals. 

I've seen a rear shock cover that could keep it clean from most of the dirt. Just wondered what you guys think of the cover in terms of looks vs functionality aswell as for the front fork covers?

I would just like to add, every time my mtb stands for about a couple of hours the front fork (rock shox reba) tends to stiffen up and not move until you apply a bit of force to make it move, its not that serious but it bothers me, is the cause dirty seals or what?

nacho!2010-05-16 16:28:03

I have a shock cover on my rear shock. It definitely keeps everything way cleaner than not having one, for long periods of time (I only remove it periodically). I got it in black and you barely notice it.

I second super mil...also got a lizzardskin on my anthem x1 and it keeps the shock clean. last time I cleaned the shock was after 2000km of riding and it was as clean as a whistle inside.

as for forks...insufficient lubrication of seals. Both rockshox and fox recommend hanging bike upside down so that oil runs up the stanchions to the wiper seals.

Get a cover!!! What works great for a back shock is a canondale lefty boot or a universal steering rack boot.

What also may work is offroad bike fork boots... or ralley suspension/shock covers. Just cut them shorter... quite cheap on eBay and comes in many diff. colours.

Cut to size, then cable tie top and bottom and NOTHING will get in. You can even cover the whole shock and will keep it looking new much longer. You'll also need to service the rear shock a lot less, and incase of a crash, there's some protection on the slider/stanchoin.

• 2 weeks later...

as for forks...insufficient lubrication of seals. Both rockshox and fox recommend hanging bike upside down so that oil runs up the stanchions to the wiper seals.

I tried putting my bike upside down, but that only caused my fork to loose air pressure...strange