Is Mountain Biking always so unorganised?

Muddy_Mike

I agree' date=' organiser should learn from "others" mistakes and stop making them also.

And what is it with hubbers alway shooting the messenger....
[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ha! If you knew him, you would shoot him too!LOL
Squier2010-05-17 09:20:52

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!!!!

8K's over flat terrain is nothing, 8 k's over hills and rocky roads would be something else. Does someone not ride the course with a bike computer or a GPS?

Guest coenie

8K's over flat terrain is nothing' date=' 8 k's over hills and rocky roads would be something else. Does someone not ride the course with a bike computer or a GPS?[/quote']

8k over flat is still 40% further than expected......like you riding the argus and then sudddenly you have to do 155...only 45 km extra....dont worry it is flat

I think you have to have been involved in organising a race/fun ride before you get to complain about those that do. Find an event, volunteer to help. Then help to do things properly. It's harder than you think. Easy to complain, though.

Guest coenie

I think you have to have been involved in organising a race/fun ride before you get to complain about those that do. Find an event' date=' volunteer to help. Then help to do things properly. It's harder than you think. Easy to complain, though.

[/quote']

You can not be serious, so you hav e to work for Telkom before you can compain about their service, same with SARS etc...

Come on.....

I don't think you can compare SARS and Telkom to most of the schools/charities/churches/clubs and volunteers who organise fun rides. I don't think any of these rides (outside of the very big ones like Argus, Amashova) are making the organisers rich.

Guest Agteros

Getting distances wrong are inexcusable, irrespective of the size of the event, or the experience of the organisers.

If last minute changes to the course has to be made, advise the riders beforehand so they know what they are in for. Kids might progress from the 5/8 km fun ride to a 20km (and pushing themselves to get to 20, and now they have to do an extra 40% distance) - this is just not on!

I agree that its unacceptable to get the distance wrong, the orgs should have done the route and measured the distance before hand. However you dont have to be a pro to org a succesful event and they do at times get it wrong. I recall last year the complaint about the race org by Fritz Pienaar (Southdowns i think) where on the same day Kempton Park Hoer Skool org a very succesful one.

I think you have to have been involved in organising a race/fun ride before you get to complain about those that do. Find an event' date=' volunteer to help. Then help to do things properly. It's harder than you think. Easy to complain, though. [/quote']

And maybe some people should stop organising bike races , just because it's the fund raising thing to doOuch.If you going to do it get your facts right first, I donate money to a church every month, I'm not keen on paying good money to race and "oh well , they got it wrong but it is very difficult to organise a race"does not cut it.

Leave the messanger aloneNuke

Hi,

For a first event by the organiser it was not bad and offered good value for money R60 for the 20km & R80 for 40(34km) other races of the same distance are over R120 + late penalties= R170.

They had 120 online entries and in true Jhb fashion 200 on the day so it is no surprise they ran out of cable ties, but a good MTB always has there own stock

My only gripe is that Jhb MTB riders cannot do technical or anything that looks like a bump in the track. i fell off twice because riders just stop.

The track was a good mix and was fun, and for those that were overtaken by a fat old bast**d on a single speed with a ridged fork should feel embarressed

Its been proven that a bad experience is much worse than no experience. My point? Bad race orginisers should be discouraged to arrange events without professional intervention. A bad experience at a race does so much damage for future events.

The way that it is currently done is whereby orginisers need to pay an orginisation (CSA, PPA, CGC or the likes) to host the event. This orgninisation is supposed to ensure that minimum safety and logistical standards are set. This still doesn't happen to the degree that we should expect, but every time I start b!tching about PPA I just think about how much worse the event could have been.

There certainly is room for professional events co-ordinators to get into the market. Help the local church to get advertising on the web, facilitate online bookings, go measure the route and do some GPS profiling, provide infrastructure for entries etc at races, get the food vendors to supply products at the event etc.

It will however cost the guy in the street an extra R20 to R30. So the real question is will we then start b!tching about the prices of the events.

I agree' date=' organiser should learn from "others" mistakes and stop making them also.

[/quote']

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Ha! If you knew him, you would shoot him too!LOL

peepols have been keel'ed for less! Baas-ted!!!!!

you must be glad you dont have a sister, that way you would really have a reason to shoot me!Shocked

I think you have to have been involved in organising a race/fun ride before you get to complain about those that do. Find an event' date=' volunteer to help. Then help to do things properly. It's harder than you think. Easy to complain, though. [/quote']

would not say i entirely agree, however even the 'pro's' get it wrong sometimes (refer 1st leg of Nissan MTB series)....

no race has ever been ridden where someone did not complain, and man being south efriken, we can complain. the basics (distance) are basic and should be right.  Emperors (MTB) got it wrong and got slack for it, so should other events who cant get it right....

the more races within 1/2 an hr of jhb the better! at least they are trying...what have u done lately? the turn out was excellent, yes we lost about 40 seconds lookn for the odd yellow and black marker, but overall it was a cool ride. All those keen on ridn the spruit for the millionth time instead will be doing us a favour by not holding us up. the area is great for mtb riding and on our doorstep,  I'm sure the race will be even better next yr if the organisers use all the constuctive criticism levelled at them. ta for a great morning! 

Well the only valid thing any amateurs should complain about is getting the distance wrong and safe parking. That is just inexcusable and downright rotten.

As far as the rest I am only too thankfull that someones doing the hard and thankless job of organising a race. Any race under a R100 is great value for money.

Now f you are riding copetitively it's different, but then again competitive riders dont ride races with poor prizes. As for the rest we ride to have fun, get fit, get outdoors and ride new tracks not accessible to the public. So if your not competing to win then stop complaining and enjoy the ride, have a beer afterwards and leave the "I take things seriosly" for Monday.