When Do I Change Brake Discs?

brat

When is it necessary to change brake discs? Is it only when the existing disc is damaged, or should it be done regularly?

ive been riding a really long time & wondered the same thing

that is a good question

JB where are you ?

ever changed the disc's on your car?

when they have been damaged / broken / substances sprayed on them which cannot be removed, etc.

but you'll prob end up doing it when you get that no trust feeling in any case.

Measure them when you have them new and check for wear over time. I should imagine it is quite relative to what brake pads you are running?

this has not been answered yet with good answers

Tech guy ?

JB ?

can you guys give a better explanation perhaps ?

I have not replaced discs unless they have been damaged by a stick getting caught in them or warped by overheating.

Most dics have a minimum thickness, so a simple measurement with a vernier caliper should give a close enough reading, then most manufacterers will either print the min thickness on the disc or they'll have it in the spec sheets online.

I have had the same discs on my bikes for at least two years now with no noticable wear. Short answer is not often...

this is what i thought

I weigh next to nothing, not my fault. My metabolism just seems to work in overdrive so i stop just as fast any other however if you put your finger abt a 1-2mm away from the disc you hardly feel any heat come off mine but on an average weight rider of about 70 - 85kg's 1-2mm away from the disc & the heat is burning your finger