Joe Low

Which is the best  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best

• Hair wax
    • Chamois cream
    • Sun lotion spray
    • Other household item - explain below

Chain wear (source wikiapedia / sheldon brown)

cut cut cut cut

Hope this clarifies a few issues JB!

Actually, it doesn't. I understand what dry and lubricant means, I don't understand the use of so-called dry lubricants on bicycle clains. 

I hate sending links around, I prefer to debate the issues myself. You'll find that I've written plenty on it over the years, including a document titled" Everything you need to know about bicycle chains" (Or something to that effect). It is posted right here on the Hub.

Sending me a definition thus doesn't help. Sheldon is simply defining it, not critting. it. For a better insight into wax-based "lubricants" I suggest you read Jobst Brand's entry on the Sheldonbrown website. Have a look here" http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Specifically look at his explanation of how wax lubricants work and his explanation of how dirt is transported into chains. Jobst doesn't specifically state that black oil is a sign of good lubrication but you can deduct it from his text. Clean oil/wax simply means that no flow-back is happening and therefore the pressure faces will run dry sooner or later.

You may also have overlooked me saying that lubrication on rollers is meaningless. Until you've opened and studied a worn chain you won't believe what I say. I have posted pictures here of worn chain components too. Take the time to open a worn chain. Also take the time to disassemble a chain after a single dirty ride and after multiple dirty rides. You'll be surprised at what you find.

Finally, long mountain bike rides come with a chain conundrum. Do you re-lube before you've had a chance to clean the chain or not? I don't think there is an answer to that one, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic